Humidity - When can it be lowered?

MesaSully

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
At what age can the humidity be lowered for a Sulcata tortoise? Mia is about 18 - 20 months old based on what i have been told. She is outgrowing my indoor hide that has the humidity kept at approx. 80%. Just wondering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We use the humidity to keep them hydrated and to prevent pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

So the answer to your question is: They need the humidity as long as they are growing.

This is difficult in dry climates like ours when they start getting bigger. My solution has been to let them use burrows in the summer, and to humidify their heated night boxes all year by putting tubs of water on shelves inside.

MesaSully

Mesa, AZ
Great info. Thanks, I will continue to keep the hide moist and continue with baths.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great info. Thanks, I will continue to keep the hide moist and continue with baths.
In summer, when daily temps are 100+, I spray water down the burrows to add some humidity and evaporative cooling. I usually stop doing this around the beginning of October when night temps start to drop, but late June through Sept, I try to keep it more damp down in the burrows.