Indoor red foot enclosure?

Jen88

Location (City and/or State)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
I got my son a tiny red foot a few months ago. We've had him in a 40g breeder but my cats caved in the screen top. I was going to replace the screen but after some research I've learned these aren't ideal enclosures. Then I saw the rabbit cage setup but read on another thread these aren't ideal due to the amount of humidity required for him. So other than building a tortoise table, do we have any other inexpensive options? I don't want to keep him in a plastic tub because I want the cage covered so my cats don't get him and we want something that looks nice. He's very small, about 3 inches. Also, if we do have to make a table, can we stain it? How do you keep it water resistant? Sorry about all the questions this is our first tortoise! Thanks in advance ☺

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Try plexiglass or glass on top. It will still be appealing and it keeps you cats out. Also keeps heat and humidity inside the enclosure.

— Gus

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Inexpensive options can include those Christmas tree bins, converting old shelves/tables/beds to an enclosure or just making one from scratch. Waterproofing can be as simple as putting pond liner in. I'm guessing staining should be fine if you make sure to air it out prior to putting the tort in and if the tort doesn't have direct contact with it. I'm sure other people will give ya better ideas. Good luck and post your final result!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Plastic/Plexiglass and glass are also what I use. Keep in mind, though, that U.V and U.V.B. can't pass through them. Lights on top could burn your cats or your cats could move or knock over the lamps and cause damage or a fire. You DO have lighting, correct? You'll have to make it cat unfriendly!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you buy a great big tub, keep the lid and make holes in it for the lights.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
It cost me less than 40$ to create my tortoise table! I made it water resistant by lining it with a tarp.

Jen88

I do have lighting yes. Right now it's on a clamp and we keep the door closed so the cats don't jump inside the tank. I was trying to figure out a way to suspend the light under the glass, or maybe cut a hole just big enough for it to rest in? Still trying to come up with a way to cover it as well so that the lights don't get knocked off. Definitely don't want a fire! Do you guys think maybe it would work if I do get the rabbit cage and I replace the wire with plexi glass and drill holes for circulation. Then I could hang the lights inside from the top of the cage. I just can't figure out something that's going to keep the lights safe and the humidity in. I plan to do it this weekend and I don't want to spend a fortune on something that's not going to be ideal for this type of tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My situation is a bit different than yours. My baby tortoise spends a great deal of time outside. Inside I have a large, short aquarium with a vented plexiglass lid that has a flourescent light screwed to the inside of the top. There is a 5.0 U.V tube in it. With orchid bark and top soil i can easily keep the humidity at 90%. However, anytime I added an other lamp for UVB, the extra heat made my humidity drop. My remedy is placing his butt out doors in the sun for a couple hours every day without a hide house. Just shady small bushes and plants, all edible. (If I give him a hide house, he dives right in and never comes back out!) Lots of folks are doing lots of different things because there are many different climates, etc. When dealing with hot lamps and plexiglass, the higher the wattage, the hotter the lamp. Also, make SURE that the fixture/holder that you use is rated for the wattage of your bulb. For example, in my out door dog house I have a 75 and a 100 watt bulb, but the reflector assemblies are rated for up to 150 watts each.

Jen88

We do take him outside in the yard for a couple hours a few times a week, weather permitting. We live in New England so it's starting to get a bit too chilly for him to be out otherwise I would love to make a nice big enclosure for outside! Our little guy must stay in :)