Indoor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Please show some pictures of your good indoor setups (its for two adult easterns)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi there

I have 2 eastern's too! I haven't figured out posting pics from my phone yet or I would send you some. I h ave 2 seperate large plastic totes for each one. In spring /summer they are outside most of the time. I put some leaves in there too. Eastern's love to lay and hide under them......atleast mine do!! I will try to figure out how to post some pics for you.

Do you only have eastern's? I just love them!! How long have you had your's?

luvpetz27 said:
Hi there

I have 2 eastern's too! I haven't figured out posting pics from my phone yet or I would send you some. I h ave 2 seperate large plastic totes for each one. In spring /summer they are outside most of the time. I put some leaves in there too. Eastern's love to lay and hide under them......atleast mine do!! I will try to figure out how to post some pics for you.

Do you only have eastern's? I just love them!! How long have you had your's?

I put the leaves in with the soil. Didn't want you to think I only used leaves! :)

bmt123

5 Year Member
Yes I only have easterns. I have only had them for about three months.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Well let me know if you have any questions!! I would be happy to help! :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i prefer an open top terrerium i personally use a book case on its back lined with a grey tarp for water proofing filled with soil peat moss leaves straw this allows for alot of space cheap cost annd the wood if matching your furnature makes for lest of an eye sore

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have one juvenile 3 toed box turtle. I prefer a closed enclosure because it helps me keep up the temps and humidity. Right now he is in a 40 gallon breeder with the screen top totally covered in heavy duty aluminum foil. I just have holes cut out for the lights. I also cover the sides.
Here is a pic:
1202121305a.jpg

You can't see the top with the lights, but this is the inside and you can see how the sides are covered.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
bmt123 said:
Please show some pictures of your good indoor setups (its for two adult easterns)

I use Waterlandtubs tortoise enclosures for my box turtles. They work really well and have a water area built in that can be piped for easy cleaning.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only have two inside now...one is 2 years and the other 1 year.
They are in a 40 gal. breeder tank with screen top with openings for the heat emitter and long tube 5.0 UVB. The rest is covered with clear wrapping tape. No hides, only long fiber moss to dig into under the plants. Frog moss around the water dish.
072-2.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
terryo said:
I only have two inside now...one is 2 years and the other 1 year.
They are in a 40 gal. breeder tank with screen top with openings for the heat emitter and long tube 5.0 UVB. The rest is covered with clear wrapping tape. No hides, only long fiber moss to dig into under the plants. Frog moss around the water dish.
072-2.jpg

So you basically do the same thing I do, but I use foil and you use clear tape. Yours looks better with the clear tape!

That turtle you see in my pic is only 16 months old. With as big as he is, he won't fit in this 40 breeder for very long!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I usually put mine out in the turtle garden, when they reach two years old. I put them out in the Spring, so they acclimate to the change of weather. They never really get a chance to out grow the 40 breeder, but there is always a young one in there. I need someone to play with for the Winter. :p

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
terryo said:
I usually put mine out in the turtle garden, when they reach two years old. I put them out in the Spring, so they acclimate to the change of weather. They never really get a chance to out grow the 40 breeder, but there is always a young one in there. I need someone to play with for the Winter. :p
I won't keep mine outdoors overnight, but during the day yes. And for winter I will always bring him in. I have no desire to hibernate him. So he needs a winter indoor enclosure. But he won't be able to use a 40 breeder next year I'm sure. He is at last measurement 4 inches SCL and he was weighed a few days ago at 205 grams. He's only 16 months old. I'm thinking by the time it gets warm enough for him to go outside he will be too large for this enclosure.

I have a question. There is no problem with using the clear tape with the heat lamp? That's why I choose to use foil, because of the heat. But the tape certainly looks better.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a cut out for the heat emitter which is in the front, and a long cut out for the tube fixture. All the rest of the screen is covered with the tape. No heat is touching it, and I only change it when it get's dirty. I've never had a problem with it. It really holds in the humidity well. I spray the vivarium in the AM each day and change the water. This time of the year, they only come out....maybe twice a week...sometimes once a week to eat and soak in the water. Not too active in the Winter even with the heat and lights. In another month or so, they will start being more active. I never dig them out, just let them come out on their own.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine is out every day. I've never met a more social, bold, or outgoing box turtle as him. He is either basking, soaking in his water dish, or perching on top of his log from the time I turn the lights on in the morning until mid to late afternoon. So far, it hasn't mattered what time of year.

Maybe I'll try the tape instead of foil. The foil does a great job, but doesn't look good.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Gerards said:
I use Waterlandtubs tortoise enclosures for my box turtles. They work really well and have a water area built in that can be piped for easy cleaning.

I forgot to put the picture in my post.
62e195f4adc2dd4664ff615e826a2d38.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thos are very nice but good god are they expensive. Are they worth it?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
jtrux said:

They organize very well and are very easy to clean. I live in florida, humidity is not a issue but could be elsewhere. I use different water lands for a bunch of different species and I think they are worth every penny. If you can find a show Pete is going to be at with in driving distance of you, shipping costs go away.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Waterland tubs are pretty cool. Haven't had the opportunity to get one yet, but I def want to get one when I get spotted turtles

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Millerlite said:
Waterland tubs are pretty cool. Haven't had the opportunity to get one yet, but I def want to get one when I get spotted turtles

They work very well for spotteds!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Gerards said:
They organize very well and are very easy to clean. I live in florida, humidity is not a issue but could be elsewhere. I use different water lands for a bunch of different species and I think they are worth every penny. If you can find a show Pete is going to be at with in driving distance of you, shipping costs go away.

That's an interesting enclosure, how big is it? In inches, if you don't mind as I don't understand gallons.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
jtrux said:

Holy cow! $285 ??? Looks like the perfect setup for boxies though. Then again, if you factor in the cost of building material to make your own enclosure, the price could end up being about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.