Indoor substrate for MEE

TimR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
It's about time to move my 2 year old Brown Mountain Tortoise indoors for the winter. We live in Virginia and the MEE stays outdoors in our fenced backyard all summer. Over previous winters, I have kept it in a large plastic storage container (which it has outgrown).

This year, I am building an enclosure in the basement, under the stairs, in the furnace room. The area will be a little over 50 sf, so I need to buy a bulk substrate. Can anyone recommend a bulk mulch or combination that would be appropiate or anything specific to avoid?
- Hardwood Mulch
- Pine Mulch
- Cedar Mulch
- Cyprus Mulch
- Straw

Thanks, I will try to post pictures as I progress.

Tim

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I always use soil plain nothing added to it, peat moss mix. You can get them in big bags and its cheap. I would avoid Straw as it molds, Cyprus mulch I would say is the most common. Not sure on pine and cedar. My guys always just lived on soil/peat moss mix with string moss on top. They live outdoors all year round now though.

Kyle

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hardwood or cypress mulch with a straw dressing would be great. Cedar and pine have resins that many people find unacceptable and potentially toxic.

You can also get Aspen shaving in large compressed bags, it's a 'soft' hardwood and hygienic. I don't know how ell it it will work if it gets too wet.