Infared Red Heat Lamp?

FredTV

Location (City and/or State)
VA
I have a sulcata hatchling around 6-7 months old. I came home to see that one of his heat bulb burned out! I have this infrared red heat lamp that could be a temporary replacement, only if it is safe to use. Also, how long can hatchlings go without optimal heat? I'm not sure when it burned out exactly and his enclosure was quite cold when I noticed, I am a bit worried.

FredTV

VA
I also spelled infrared wrong, my apologies :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Red lights can confuse them but if its only for a short time and you have no other source of heat I expect it will be better than nothing.
You said 'one' of his bulbs what else are you using?

FredTV

VA
I have a heat bulb for basking and another heat bulb of higher wattage (the one that burned out) at a higher position for ambient temp.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know they can manage a short while without uvb but as you know heat is a must.
Maybe if you can post a pic of the enclosure members will be able to advise on the best thing to do.
Do you use anything for night heat like a ceramic heat emitter you could use? I use one on a thermostat so it switches on and off as required and I also use it during the day with the mvb if its very cold.

FredTV

VA
I went ahead and bought another from the pet store. Thank you for your assistance!

FredTV

VA
I have a CHE for night time. I don't like to use it during the day so I can make it last a bit longer by just using it at night. Thanks for the links Tom, very helpful