'Inherited' group of male sulcatas. A few questions.

amysbean

Location (City and/or State)
Mauriceville,TX
I inherited 6 Sulcata tortoises 3 years ago, found this site a couple years ago and am very appreciative for all the information, suggestions, education obtained from this site. My first question: thanks to 2 floods in the past 2 years (despite the fact I don't live in the flood zone), I will be having new night boxes built. (The 3 boxes I inherited, along with the tortoises, were already a bit aged.) This group of males has been together for at least 5 years. They live on about 1/3 to half an acre, which has a 'wooded' area and an open area. (It was a large paddock area for a couple miniature horses, now has the roof panels all around the bottom of fence.) I have Tom's instructions for his night box (which will be a huge improvement on their current boxes, thank you Tom!) but am wondering if I should build 3 large (4 x 8) or 6 single (4 x 4) boxes. They are outside year round (it's Southeast Texas, rarely gets below 40; boxes will have the oil heaters, insulation.) Currently, several will squeeze into one house, two others go into the 2nd house, and 3rd house is often empty, especially during summer as a couple of the guys prefer hanging out in the holes they have dug. (Two weigh over 100 pounds and the others range from 50 to 70 pounds.) I was thinking about adding skids/runners to the bottom of the boxes in case there is another flood, so wondering if Tom has any ideas on 'how to' do that. (The idea would be to hook the boxes up to a 4-wheeler and drag them to higher ground.)
Second question: also considering turning another large paddock into a second enclosure and separating the 3 larger from the 3 smaller. It doesn't happen often but we have had a couple of the smaller ones knocked over. From what I've read on this site, the only safe way to keep Sulcatas is to keep them completely separate. (During the floods, all 6 were contained on a 12 by 40 porch. When released back into their little pasture, they scattered to the far corners for some alone time, or at least that is the impression I got.)
Wish I had printed out some of Tom's photos of his night boxes before they disappeared. I tried the tiny pic.com site but they "ceased operations" on the 16th of this month. I do have the 3 'exploded' views, so hopefully carpenter can follow those. Again, thanks for all the information from all of you experienced savvy Sulcata owners/guardians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I did this thread after we started embedding the pics on the forum itself, so the pics are all still there. I think you should build three of these. This will also make it much easier to separate them all I've the need ever arises.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

These might help too:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...g-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/

For skids, I just rest mine on pressure treated 2x4s. I suppose that these could act as skids if you attached them.