My Sulcata Herd

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Thought I'd share a photo of my group of big sullies. The larger/taller pen pictured behind me serves as a grow-out for my smaller sulcata tortoises and the lower standing pen is a red-footed habitat.

The smaller sulcatas (not pictured) are currently all being housed indoors until temperatures warm back up. The large ones that are pictured are housed outdoors year round, free-roam of my entire yard (over 2 acres) with a total of 3 heated boxes around the yard. Today we had some very nice sunshine so I let them out of the boxes to roam during the day. We've had a few cold nights this winter here in Houston so they stay in the boxes during that time.

The sulcata with the major pyramiding came to me that way when he was younger. He's doing great and is a true champ.

From left to right - Wilma (heavy girl for her size, 32lbs), Fred (ivory ~45lbs), Barney (pyramided 49lbs), Betty (het. ivory ~60lbs) and Gargan (my 90lb male). That's me, looking cool, just for size reference. The males don't cross paths too often and haven't been confrontational with one another in all the time I've had them.
167b7cb864bb73150696739c1ca5f512.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice group there. I would be very nerves letting them roam that much land. It's great, they get too, I would just worry too much about them.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Very nice group there. I would be very nerves letting them roam that much land. It's great, they get too, I would just worry too much about them.
Thanks! I don't get too worried as the entire area is fenced in and the bases of the fence and surrounding wall areas are all cemented in a couple feet below ground. Not many predators in the area and I have traps around the yard to catch any that may come around to them (released afterwards). Haven't had any issues!

Beautiful tortoises.
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so glad you don't. I was thinking more about humans. They steal and can be cruel. Hope you never do have any problems. It's nice they have such a large area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got a great set up.

Barney has some serious gulars going on there!

yillt

I love the way that they're in height (shell) order. Really beautiful herd

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
I am so glad you don't. I was thinking more about humans. They steal and can be cruel. Hope you never do have any problems. It's nice they have such a large area.
Thanks, I understand your point - I'm glad that I haven't had any issues of the sort in all this time. Most of my neighbors are unaware of the tortoises and those that are love bringing their kids by to see them, almost like a petting zoo! Thanks for the kind words.

You've got a great set up.

Barney has some serious gulars going on there!
Thanks Tom! Yes, his gulars definitely are rather prominent, unlike any of my other males or males I've seen locally, haha. He's a friendly one though, probably the least confrontational and the friendliest towards people out of all of them!

I love the way that they're in height (shell) order. Really beautiful herd
Thank you! I thought it'd be nice to line them up that way. Appreciate the kind words!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When do we get to see your tegu herd in the "other pets" section? :)

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
When do we get to see your tegu herd in the "other pets" section? :)
Unfortunately my blue tegu passed away around 4 years ago when an individual was borrowing him for breeding purposes. He was far from old but some not-so-great events occurred.

I've had my username since those days and it just stuck, even on YouTube, even though I don't keep tegus anymore.

I do have some old photos of Sobek over on Tegu Talk I believe, I'll try to get them up on here and I'll make sure to tag you! I was rather late to joining this forum, but I've been around, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. He was gorgeous. Thanks for the pics. These are one of my favorite species.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Fantastic beasties!!! And you're certainly looking cool:D I'm impressed you got them all to hold still for the photo! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! Any time. Haha, honestly we had to do a few takes before we finally got them to hold still. As you can see my hand was on Betty as she was breaking free again!