Inheriting “Moto” a Salcata Tortoise

TOlson

Location (City and/or State)
California
My father is turning 88 and after losing my mom recently, I realized one day not too far away, I will need to care for my father’s Salcata Tortoise ’Moto’. I am sure he was purchased from a pet store and I don’t know its age or sex. We call it a him but we don’t know for sure. My dad has had Moto for approximately 6 years and I swear he hasn’t really grown much. He lives in a store bought turtle enclosure (box) and I was wondering if this could be why he hasn’t grown much. I thought Salcatas grow to be very large so I am wondering if Moto is even a Salcata. I will upload a photo when I can, Moto currently lives with my father at a separate location. I have started building an outdoor inclosure and received so much to think about off YouTube and books. I’m so glad I found this forum and will be asking many question as the months and years go by. :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is no store bough enclosure that is suitable for a sulcata. YT, FB, books, pet stores, vets and even most breeders are giving terrible advice for this species.

Give this a read through and please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Intrigued to see a photo! Chances are if they’ve not been housed right they could have stunted growth, pictures of the tortoise and the set up/equipment used would be a good indicator on what’s potentially gone wrong.

I’m sorry for the loss of your mom!