Inheriting “Moto” a Salcata Tortoise

TOlson

Location (City and/or State)
California
My father is turning 88 and after losing my mom recently, I realized one day not too far away, I will need to care for my father’s Salcata Tortoise ’Moto’. I am sure he was purchased from a pet store and I don’t know its age or sex. We call it a him but we don’t know for sure. My dad has had Moto for approximately 6 years and I swear he hasn’t really grown much. He lives in a store bought turtle enclosure (box) and I was wondering if this could be why he hasn’t grown much. I thought Salcatas grow to be very large so I am wondering if Moto is even a Salcata. I will upload a photo when I can, Moto currently lives with my father at a separate location. I have started building an outdoor inclosure and received so much to think about off YouTube and books. I’m so glad I found this forum and will be asking many question as the months and years go by. :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is no store bough enclosure that is suitable for a sulcata. YT, FB, books, pet stores, vets and even most breeders are giving terrible advice for this species.

Give this a read through and please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Intrigued to see a photo! Chances are if they’ve not been housed right they could have stunted growth, pictures of the tortoise and the set up/equipment used would be a good indicator on what’s potentially gone wrong.

I’m sorry for the loss of your mom!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
My dad has had Moto for approximately 6 years and I swear he hasn’t really grown much. He lives in a store bought turtle enclosure (box) and I was wondering if this could be why he hasn’t grown much. I thought Salcatas grow to be very large so I am wondering if Moto is even a Salcata.
Welcome to the forum!

First of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom :(

Yep you are right, inadequate care can cause stunted growth in all tortoise species. When you post more info and photos about Moto, we can help guide you getting Moto healthy and growing!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@TOlson .... Sulcata Tortoises require quite a lot of care and housing, including heaters. You are right to come here asking for more info on what needs to be done. If you could post pics and some more info on what care 'He' has received there are lots of people here that can help. It seems you already know the care is lacking a lot and 'He' needs more. Here you will find people that care so much about all torts they will give their own time to help yours (or your dads). Please hang around a while and you will learn so much, I guarantee it.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm sorry for your situation. Please do post photos of everything as soon as you can...