Interesting behavior observed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When I soak my 2 DT babies, I dump the "bath" water in the aquarium where I keep them when indoors. I pour it right under their heat light, which almost immediately starts to fog up the glass sides of the aquarium.
Lately I have observed, on several occasions, the youngest one licking the condensed water off the glass.
I wonder if condensed water, in the form of dew, is an important source of moisture for hatchling DTs in the wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do the same thing, assuming they didn't poop in it, but I have a flat rock under the basking bulb. Mine try to "lick" it off the flat rock. The room is 80-84 and very humid, so it doesn't condense on the glass for me.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
thats interesting...
In here... when it rains a little bit, tortoises come out of the burrow, and they stick their beak to the humid ground, even if theres no water at all...
I believe they do get some humidity that way...
It is really interesting how, as soon as it gets cloudy, almost all of them come out of the burrow and then... it rains...
Not much water goes inside the burrow as it is located on a higher spot...
but some of it does goes in and awakes the other tortoises that didnt come out, and they run quickly outside.
the water that does goes inside the burrow keeps it humid for sure, I can tell because they keep coming outside with humid carapace even after the rains...

Status
Not open for further replies.