Interesting nesting behavior observed

cyan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have a pancake group of 1.4 and of the group, 2 females are WC and 2 are CB. The 2 CB girls are still very young. One is 3 years old and the other will be 3 in May. I just had egg #9 for the year laid last night.

What I find interesting, is that the 2 young girls are laying more frequently and digging proper nest holes. The youngest just laid her 4th egg since October, last night. The 3 year old laid her 2nd egg in less than 4 weeks on Saturday. Also in a proper nest hole.

The 2 older WC girls have only laid their eggs on top of the substrate. One girl just laid egg #2 since February. Her first egg is the only one to hatch, so far. The largest WC girl has only laid one egg and that was in March, fertile but still incubating.

I find this species so fascinating. I learn something new about this group every day. Why do the CB young girls dig proper nests, while the older WC girls just lay on top of the substrate? Why are the youngest girls laying more eggs, more frequently? The girls that dig nests are doing so in the mulch along the rocks that are in the enclosure. The ones that lay on top, are doing so in the dirt on the opposite side of the enclosure. The enclosure is a 6x3 closed chamber and is half mulch and half topsoil. Where the rocks are is in the mulch and on the hotter side. The dirt side has cork bark hides and no "hot spot", but is under the CHE. I just find the different behavior between the CB and WC so interesting. What is also interesting is that the CB girls sleep in the rocks, where all of the WC sleep in the dirt. The humidity is higher on the dirt side and averages ~65%. Where the rock side has an MVB mounted above the rocks and is much drier.

All of the WC, including the male, have been with me for over 2 years. They are all very active, eat great and not one of them is shy about anything! I have to be very careful when doing anything in their indoor enclosure because they are all trying to climb up me or getting into the middle of whatever I am doing. I can't even open the enclosure when I find one nesting because it will cause all the others to come running to investigate why I'm opening the door. Just as a note, they also have a 7x14 yard they go out in, weather permitting.
Just thought I would share my observations.... I can't wait to see what 2015 brings with this group!
Cyndi

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have found in experience that captive animals produce more than wild collected specimens, egg counts, and frequency tend to be more so as well.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Love the picture of the little one hatching. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's something in your water:p. Great pics. Love the one with the egg being laid and the one hatching. That one still in the cooker from like forever ago needs to get out here already, room is needed for the mass pancake egg bake:D

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Very strange, but very interesting. Only have a pair. Of wc. Have had them for nine years. Only one time did she not dig and hide her eggs.(had 2) anyway it was my fault for not having the digging material. So, like I said strange. None of my babies are old enough to breed yet. Took me awhile to even hatch one.Lol.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
Update:
The 2 young CB girls have each already given me one egg for the new year. This brings my total of eggs to 11 in just under a year. Of the 11, one hatched and one I know is no good. I have confirmed 4 of the now 9 incubating as fertile. 8 of the 11 are from the 2 young CB girls! This is a great start to the year!!!

From tonight!

Love seeing all of these!

Cyndi

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, you already have them named, with some having the same name, that's weird:p:D maybe their twins, BAHAHAHAHA
Congrats, keep those shelled Beaties happy and they will reward you with eggs:).
That one from what, five years ago needs to hatch already:confused:. Okay, it's not really five you guys, but it does seem like forever.:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I share Kelly's observations about egg production in WC vs. CB.

The egg laying location choices are interesting. Surely the WC must have established laying location preferences out in the wild and they just aren't finding the locations in your enclosure to their liking. The CB girls had no preference, and so formed their preference in your enclosure. Perhaps make a few laying boxes with alternative substrates for the WC girls to try?

Either way, I find it fantastic that you are so successfully reproducing this awesome species.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
I share Kelly's observations about egg production in WC vs. CB.

The egg laying location choices are interesting. Surely the WC must have established laying location preferences out in the wild and they just aren't finding the locations in your enclosure to their liking. The CB girls had no preference, and so formed their preference in your enclosure. Perhaps make a few laying boxes with alternative substrates for the WC girls to try?

Either way, I find it fantastic that you are so successfully reproducing this awesome species.

What types other types of substrates would you recommend trying? I'm up for anything! I have the cypress mulch on one end and the other is a mixture of peat moss, top soil and a small amount of sand mixed in. It is very easy to dig in but will still pack down fairly firm. I also wonder if they would prefer a low wattage basking light over the dirt area for laying. I am guessing most lay where the sun will heat up the ground. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks!
Cyndi

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am guessing most lay where the sun will heat up the ground. Is that a correct assumption?

My species do.

About the substrate: I'm trying to envision aha would be around the base of one of the "rock Islands" (Kopje) where pancakes occur. My best guess is that it would be more gravely, like decomposed granite. Or perhaps they move away from the rock outcropping into a more open are and lay in plain dirt.

I would try some regular different types of dirt from outside and see if you hit on something they like.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
I would try some regular different types of dirt from outside and see if you hit on something they like.

I will do just that! Here in Ga we have mostly red clay, but I do have some areas that are more sandy and have some gravel/limestone mixed in. I will keep you posted!

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia

I revamped the enclosure yesterday. I now have the mulch on the left/middle by the rocks. I left this because that is where the younger girls are nesting. In the middle/right I changed to a mixture from the yard that is a heavier sand-like consistency. And then the far right is a top soil/peat mixture. I also added a 40 watt basking bulb on the right side. The slate is also new and by rearranging I was able to add more hides but have more open areas too. I also threw in some seed mix on the right side. We will see if it grows much before they eat it all. I also need to replant their wall box again.

The whole group has been super active since I redid the enclosure. They have always been great eaters but now they seem to eat with more vigor!!
We shall see if this makes a difference in the nesting behavior of the WC girls.

Pics of the redo...

I open the door and they come running!