Intro from KY

Turtle1173

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hi all,

I have just recently joined and look forward to being a part of the group. Although I am new here, I am not new to turtles and tortoises. I grew up in the Bay Area in the 80’s and my family were members of the Sacramento Turtle and Tortoise club. At one time we had 50 turtles and tortoises at our house. Every child’s dream! Sulcatas, Leopards, pancakes, Desert tortoises, Russians, Greeks, Elongated, and so many varieties of turtles. However, as the years have gone by I’m saddened thinking of how little we really knew about the many needs of our animals.

That was many years ago. We moved away from CA in 1993. I’m looking forward to dipping my foot back in again. Lots of changes now, as I’m married, have 2 teenagers and live in Kentucky.

My plan is to start with something that brought me much joy as a child. That is, box turtles. Eastern box turtles are native here, so I will probably stay away from them. Even though KY law states that I could have 5 native species. Would I really only want 5?? Not likely. So I will likely go with 3 toeds or Ornates. Both of which are native within 100 miles of me. That’s a plus because they should be able to enjoy life completely outside here.

Well, that’s my story and I look forward to all the information here.

Shane

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Shane, and welcome to the Forum!

It's amazing we were able to keep out tortoises alive way back then, huh? Like you, I had lots of tortoises in the '60s and had no idea how to REALLY care for them. In fact, I used to scrape off the dinner plates onto the grass in the backyard for my desert tortoise to eat - spaghetti, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.