Intro..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie

5 Year Member
[/size][/font]Hi I'm Katie, i live in Devon in the UK and have 2 beautiful Hermann's tortoises called George and Ruby who are 4 this year

Attachments

• P1000896.JPG
    P1000896.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 48

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome Katie, why the frowny face? You do have two beautiful tortoises! You have come to a great place to learn about tortoises! I might suggest you look into a different type of bedding as those pellets have been known to cause problems.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi Katie! Welcome to TFO!

How big is there enclosure? Have you always used pellets as a substrate? What does their diet look like?

Katie

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
Welcome Katie, why the frowny face? You do have two beautiful tortoises! You have come to a great place to learn about tortoises! I might suggest you look into a different type of bedding as those pellets have been known to cause problems.

Hi! the frowny face was a mistake! i meant to choose the smiley one! (new at this forum stuff!) what sort of problems does the bedding cause? they have been on it for a couple of years, it does get a bit dusty from time to time - is that what you mean? do you have hermann's tortoises as well?

FernandoM said:
Hi Katie! Welcome to TFO!

How big is there enclosure? Have you always used pellets as a substrate? What does their diet look like?

their enclosure is about the size of a single bed (havent measured it!) their diet is mainly salad and vegetables, mixed lettuce, rocket, cucumber, tomatoes, beans, broccoli, mixed greens etc. they dont spend as much time out in the garden as i'd like (due to the great british weather!) can you suggest anything else i could try for them?

thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
I know hermanns are popular in the UK
Most people don't use the pellets for 2 reasons they mold easily and if the tortoise accidentally eats some they are high in protein.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The are cute, although I did notice that some scutes are just starting to pyramid,
If that is their normal diet it needs to be changed,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

As you can see we have lots of helpful members here.

Katie

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
The are cute, although I did notice that some scutes are just starting to pyramid,
If that is their normal diet it needs to be changed,

Hi Yvonne, what would you suggest changing their diet to?

thanks Katie :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum!

I agree, ditch the pellet bedding... It is very dry, which causes chronic dehydration and contributes to pyramiding (the reason your bigger tortoise is so bumpy) among other potential health problems, as well as being very hard to walk on and tough on their legs (can cause splay leg). It's best for their long-term health to use something more appropriate, like soil, coconut coir, cypress mulch, or a mix thereof (there are other options; those are just the ones that come to mind right now).

I notice, in the photo, they're eating what looks like green peas and snap peas? How often do you give them this? It's OK as a treat, but legumes (i.e. peas and green beans) are best avoided... I can't remember the exact reason; they're high in protein, they're very starchy, or both. Anyway, just an observation... :)

Again, welcome to the forum. Your tortoises are lovely!

Katie

5 Year Member
Floof said:
Welcome to the forum!

I agree, ditch the pellet bedding... It is very dry, which causes chronic dehydration and contributes to pyramiding (the reason your bigger tortoise is so bumpy) among other potential health problems, as well as being very hard to walk on and tough on their legs (can cause splay leg). It's best for their long-term health to use something more appropriate, like soil, coconut coir, cypress mulch, or a mix thereof (there are other options; those are just the ones that come to mind right now).

I notice, in the photo, they're eating what looks like green peas and snap peas? How often do you give them this? It's OK as a treat, but legumes (i.e. peas and green beans) are best avoided... I can't remember the exact reason; they're high in protein, they're very starchy, or both. Anyway, just an observation... :)

Again, welcome to the forum. Your tortoises are lovely!

Thanks for the advise! yes they dont have peas etc, everyday, just treats really, their everyday diet is salad, leaves, tomatoes and cucumebr etc, but i am always keen to try new things, can you suggest anything?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Tomatoes are another thing that should be kept out of the diet, they are high in sugars. Cucumbers are fine but do not provide a lot of nutritional value so they shouldn't be a staple. Best things for your torts are dark leafy greens such as endive, escarole, turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, green and red leaf lettuce. All or some of these should be available at your local grocery store. Also, a lot of people use spring mix as a staple, and mix it with other greens, spring mix is a mixture of baby greens of several varieties, all of which are usually good for your tort.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Katie said:
Thanks for the advise! yes they dont have peas etc, everyday, just treats really, their everyday diet is salad, leaves, tomatoes and cucumebr etc, but i am always keen to try new things, can you suggest anything?

Tomatoes, and any other fruit, are another that should be fed rarely or never. They're very high in sugar, which can cause digestive upset and diarrhea.

You might try squash (either grated or lightly softened, 15-30 seconds, in the microwave). It's a little on the sugary side, too, so just a once every week or so treat, but healthier for them than any fruit. Opuntia cactus pad, or "nopales" in some areas, is also an excellent tortoise food.

A good diet for your Hermann's should consist of greens, like lettuce (several kinds, and no iceberg), collard greens, turnip greens, endive, and escarole/chicory, as well as edible weeds (so long as the area you collect them from isn't sprayed with any chemicals) like dandelion and plantain.

There are many edible plants you can grow to feed your tort, too, if you're interested in gardening or houseplants--Pansies, Violas, and Hibiscus are a few examples. Reading through the diet forum here on the forum will give you an idea, and http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/ has a pretty cool Plant Database where you can find out if the plants around your yard or even at the local nursery are safe to feed.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so hopefully one of our many resident tortoise experts can fill in the blanks if I am!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Katie said:
[/size][/font]Hi I'm Katie, i live in Devon in the UK and have 2 beautiful Hermann's tortoises called George and Ruby who are 4 this year

Hi Katie:

Welcome to the forum!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Howdy Katie! :D George and Ruby are very pretty. Have you had them all four years? I hope we don't scare you away with our enthusiasm for wanting to correct any little thing we may believe to be wrong in your tortoise care. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.