Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohfive

5 Year Member
Hello Hello!

Someone sent me a link to this forum after my sulcata and I were mentioned on it from our video clip on the local news. I am a part of other tortoise group but had not heard of this one before now. I am interested to see other sulcata torts and other owners and help newbies too.

This is the thread you all mentioned me
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Kobae-a-Sulcata-in-the-news#axzz1YBSyoeoV

and this is the clip we did back in March
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Not_Your_Average_Pet_San_Diego-117156953.html

Looking forward to discussions!
-Heather & Kobae

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We're glad to have you and Kobae here with us.

Ohfive

5 Year Member
Oh good it worked. I wasnt sure it did but I see it did.
Thank you for the welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...new members have to wait for moderator approval before their first five posts show up. Glad I was here while you are still online so you could see you did the right thing!! :p

Ohfive

5 Year Member
Understandable!
I was glad too. Oddly enough its a slow morning around here today. I have 3 children so its hardly ever slow lol!

Ohfive

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone!

Now to answer some of the questions posted in the previous thread that brought me here.
- I have had Kobae since he was an egg. I know both of his parents and knew how big he was going to get, I just didnt expect it to happen as fast as it did in a matter of 5 yrs or so.
- Kobae has traveled from west coast to east coast to canada back to east coast back to canada then eventually back to the west coast once he got over 30 pounds, all with legal paperwork and through CITES. He is a part of our family. He now spends summers in Moab Utah and winters in San Diego. I wish he could live on his 50 acres in Moab all year long but it is too cold so he stays with us in San Diego in the winter, hence the poor back yard for him but it is only a few months a year.
- Kobae has never fallen in the pool and when he goes in the Colorado river in the summer, he actually floats but e is never unsupervised when near the river.
- As for stairs, he does not climb up the stairs to get to his house, to the side of the stairs you see in the video is a soft dirt incline he uses and likes to sit in the sand as it gets warm with the sun shining on it all day. Now he does go down the stairs as a slide lol!
- his diet is usually hay, grass, dandelions, cactus, and what ever else is in my neighbors yards but for the video we used romaine which is a treat to get him moving for the camera. All part of hollywood tricks, JK! In moab with not much vegetation he has run up grocery bills of $100 but its not an everyday all year type of thing.
- as for taking him for walks, in Moab he goes for long walks, usually 5 miles to 10 miles long in a day, depends on his mood and the weather. In San Diego he expects the same but we obviously dont go that far but we do try to walk around the neighborhood a couple times a week. Everyone loves him and worries about him if we dont walk him at least once a week. He is stubborn but he will eventually make his way back home. We rarely pick him up because he is just to heavy.

- i was happy to do the story, give the breed some news and hopefully other people who buy the babies can see just how large they do get and how much responsibility they are. I am very open about owning him and we blog about him a lot of his adventures in Moab and with us when we used to move all the time. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask away.

-Heather

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Welcome your sones name is the same as my tortoises :) Thiago i just chose to remove the 'H' so it is Tiago! :D

Ohfive

5 Year Member
We also removed the "H" in Tiago but we left the "H" in Thais. My husband was born and raised in Brasil. We visit every other summer.
I came up with Kobae for my tortoise, as it is the word for Tortoise in Swahili, except I spelled it different so people wouldnt think I was naming him after Kobe Bryant even though I am a fan. I used to live in Kenya and feel in love with the species there so thats where I got it.

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!

desertr0se

5 Year Member
Herman

Not sure how the forum works but I have a tortoise named Herman. Good Morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Heather please excuse my little foray into the off topic realm in your thread.

Hi desert r0se:

If you click on "forum" up at the top of the screen, then choose a topic. Since this would be your introductory thread, choose (or click) "introductions." When that comes up, click on "new topic", whick is on the upper right of the screen. This will bring up a blank screen where you can type in a subject line, such as "Hi, new here" then go to the body of the thread and type in whatever message you'd like to share with us. When you are finished, click on "post thread."

Bear in mind that because you're new, your first 5 posts won't show up right away. They sit in limbo until a moderator sees and approves them.

Happy posting!!! And welcome to the forum.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome! It sounds like you have an exciting life with all your travels. What part of San Diego to you stay? I though it was dificult to get torts into Canada. Do you ever have any problems with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.