Introducing Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taby_01

5 Year Member
I would like to introduce ourselves here in the RT section. My name is Jen and our family added an RT that we've already renamed Sonic 3 days ago. I still have yet to get him to eat (I'm guessing "him" based on other posts I've seen). We got him from Petsmart and were told he was only a month old, based on size another poster is guessing 6-8 years? I just gave him his first soak, based on other concerned "parents" with new RTs not eating. I've got photos and going to attempt to post them here :D

5d955c76.jpg

4c1b9655.jpg

964872a1.jpg

6313d7fa.jpg

d2b4dd8e.jpg

Fingers crossed!,

moochie

5 Year Member
I would like to introduce ourselves here in the RT section. My name is Jen and our family added an RT that we've already renamed Sonic 3 days ago. <clip>

Welcome to you and Sonic! Did the bath have the desired result?

Mark

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
Welcome! Many times the Russians from PetSmart are wild caught imports, and it is often times hard to find someone that works there that knows much about torts. Sonic is a very nice looking tort. Sonic could just be adjusting to his new home.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Don't know anything about RT, but welcome to the forum. If it is broke, weak or sick...it is likely it can be fixed here.

Taby_01

5 Year Member
He simply went back to napping under the basking light, no eating yet :(. Thank you for all of the welcomes :). He runs all over the yard when we let him out, but sleeps in the enclosure under the light the rest of the time.
Jen

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome and I would give him a little to get use to the new environment....also, I was in Petsmart and "peeked" at the Russian Tortoise (cause I could not stop myself) and as usual they had those stupid rainbow colored dry food that looks like miniature dry cat food....I stopped the guy and asked them what part of the natural world would this tortoise ever encounter the fruit loops food? and asked them why they feed them that crap? His reply was we don't expect to have them here long and we have to make it look like we supply food...he went onto say that most people who buy them don't know what to feed them so that kind of food they can buy when they buy the tortoise and it is up to them to get the "right" food for the tortoise once they buy it....wow...honest but really p****d me off....
So, your little one may just be going through stress with being caught, then shoved on display with a million people walking by, tapping the glass and on top of that likely has not eaten well for sometime....suggest you give him some yummy weeds (with no pesticides/herbicides exposure) and ease him into his new digs :D

By the way, he is beautiful :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats on the RT and just give hime time to adjust to all the changes that just happened to him and things will be fine..

Taby_01

5 Year Member
We bought him an aloe plant, hibiscus, and sage...and let him roam the yard for part of the day...and let him be the rest of the time. Hope he feels up to eating soon :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am 99 percent sure when an employe at either petsmart or petco, when they say he is a month old, that translates into we have had him a month.

Nice russian, give him time baring any illness he should eat soon.

Taby_01

5 Year Member
She said, "We almost always get them at a month old." I just looked at her a bit dumbstruck, I've raised numerous varieties of animals, but am new to tortoises and knew he was older than that!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Taby_01 said:
She said, "We almost always get them at a month old." I just looked at her a bit dumbstruck, I've raised numerous varieties of animals, but am new to tortoises and knew he was older than that!
well then I would have to say she was either ignorant (most likely) or lying.
Anyways nice looking male tortoise.

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
I had the same problem with my russian not eating it took her about a whole week for her to finally eat it made me so nervous! :shy:

Taby_01

5 Year Member
Happy dance! Happy Dance!!! Sonic is officially eating!! Either he didn't like what I was offering (aloe, hibiscus, dandelion, and sage) or he has finally gotten hungry enough...in desperation I went out and bought the bagged spring mix at the store and he has eaten 2 handfuls this afternoon!! I hope he will learn to like what is on hand, but if he's just picky, I can handle that too!!

Taby_01

5 Year Member
Thank you! He's already downed another handful! I'm just so happy to see him eating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.