Introducing two tortoises first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
I have a 2-3 year old hermanns tortoise called turbo who's fit and health and lives in a large tortoise table with room to run around. My girflfriends mum has an older slower hermanns tortoise who by estimates is about 9. He is healthy but not as fit as when young it is suspected he was attacked by a dog leaving him in 100% working order but a bit disfigured at the rear plastron. (This happened before he was adopted).

Eventually I plan for them to share accomodation IF they get on. But the question is how would be best to introuduce them to each other? I was going to build a tortoise table with a divide that could be removed or put back in place so they can have 'mixed' time and seperate time, slowly increasing it over time so they get used to each other.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for when introduced or a better method or idea. I'm totally open to ideas the above is just my current work in progress idea.
Thanks, JJ

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pairs seldom work out. If its male male, they will usually fight. If its male female, the male will usually harass the female to no end.

Your best bet would be to just house them separately. They are solitary animals and do not need or want "friends".

If you still want to try anyway, I like to introduce new torts to each other in "neutral" territory, where neither of them have ever been before. Then while they are getting acquainted, I rearrange all the furniture and stir up the substrate in the habitat that they will share. Just be ready to separate them permanently if need be.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
johnhutch2000 said:
I have a 2-3 year old hermanns tortoise called turbo who's fit and health and lives in a large tortoise table with room to run around. My girflfriends mum has an older slower hermanns tortoise who by estimates is about 9. He is healthy but not as fit as when young it is suspected he was attacked by a dog leaving him in 100% working order but a bit disfigured at the rear plastron. (This happened before he was adopted).

Eventually I plan for them to share accomodation IF they get on. But the question is how would be best to introuduce them to each other? I was going to build a tortoise table with a divide that could be removed or put back in place so they can have 'mixed' time and seperate time, slowly increasing it over time so they get used to each other.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for when introduced or a better method or idea. I'm totally open to ideas the above is just my current work in progress idea.
Thanks, JJ

Tom has it pretty much right...otoh, if both are females, then they'll likely get along just fine, if not too crowded...but two males never will and eventually one will kill the other, unless you have a huge environment (25' X 25' might barely be big enough for two males. if there are plenty of hiding places!).

If it's a male/female couple, and you'd like to breed 'em, get at least one more female (two is better), so that they can share the male's "carnal enthusiasm and reproductive glee"...and you'll again want a roomy environment.

Or seperate enclosures is a simple answer.

BTW, 9yoa is still fairly young in tortoise years...about the equivalent, in human years, of 16 or 17 and both may well outlive ya!

He may well not so much be slow as just taking it easy... :)

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Hi Guys, thanks for the advice. To be honest I had forgotten I had posted this as I was away when I did so. I'm not 100% on either tortoise's sex due to their age. I'd like to at least try them together as they may both be female as the vets have indicated separately that each may be a girl (despite both being boy names).
I will definitely prepare to house them separately if need be. I had an idea about building a large table and down the middle having a wall with a 'break' in the middle that can be removed to mix the two. If they take a dislike to each other then I can replace it and leave shut.

If I assumed they were both female, which is a possibility, how would it be best to introduce them? Just put them together and watch or put them so they can see each other before being able to mix or any ideas?

Thanks Terry, :) They probably (and hopefully) both will outlive me. I hope to keep them in good health for as long as I can keep myself in the same! I think the reason Jim is slow is due to his back end being a bit off centre. He's fine if you show him dandelions just really slow most of the time. Turbo on the other hand lives up to his name and charges about like a puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.