Introduction: Taylor and Jasper

ABCDogs+

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi, all!

I am Taylor. I live in north GA about an hour and a half from Atlanta. My husband and I have talked about getting a tortoise for a while, but recently we found a lovely 7ish-year-old Sulcata available from a herp rescue. His name is currently "Turtle" but it will be Jasper once the adoption is finalized. We are excited because we didn't want to get a baby and all the adults we had seen before in rescues or being rehomed appeared to have health issues that we weren't prepared to handle. Although we are both familiar with reptile care, this will be our first tortoise. I have asked the foster most of my most pressing questions and she has been a ton of help and has promised to remain a knowledgeable resource after Jasper has come home with us.

The only thing putting a pause on the adoption is me finishing his outdoor habitat in our yard. We have a 6-foot privacy fence with chicken wire at the bottom buried to 6-10 inches. Our yard is large, about 1/4 acre. Jasper will have a tortoise house with heating and cooling and a smaller 10x16 enclosure to pen him up when we mow or need him contained. I bought plans for a doghouse on Etsy that will be easily adaptable for a tortoise house. I'm pretty handy, so that should come together quickly. I'm just held up by this dang heat! I don't want to be outside digging the trench for the smaller enclosure (we plan to bury it about 10" deep to prevent burrowing out) while it's so hot.

This forum has been very helpful over the last week or so while I gathered ideas and plans for the tortoise house and enclosure. I hope to continue learning and maybe become a contributing member one of these days. I'm a dog trainer so I'm interested in learning if Jasper will be open to target training or anything similar.

Thanks for having us!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. @Tom would be able to help you. He too trains dogs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A dog house is not a proper enclosure/hide for a tortoise. They need an insulated heated hide for those cold winter days and nights. Please look at Toms night box thread. Lots of shade needed for summer hot temps. Yard Misters and/or sprinklers can help lower the temps in a tortoise area.
Also, be sure dogs have zero access to the tortoise. Even the best trained dogs will try to chew a tortoise.
Please be sure to follow care, temps and diet from this forum. So much of the info out there is wrong or outdated.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I know that some tortoises have been able to do target training and even clicker training. I hope you will post your progress with the enclosure and ofc of the tortoise when you get him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, all!

I am Taylor. I live in north GA about an hour and a half from Atlanta. My husband and I have talked about getting a tortoise for a while, but recently we found a lovely 7ish-year-old Sulcata available from a herp rescue. His name is currently "Turtle" but it will be Jasper once the adoption is finalized. We are excited because we didn't want to get a baby and all the adults we had seen before in rescues or being rehomed appeared to have health issues that we weren't prepared to handle. Although we are both familiar with reptile care, this will be our first tortoise. I have asked the foster most of my most pressing questions and she has been a ton of help and has promised to remain a knowledgeable resource after Jasper has come home with us.

The only thing putting a pause on the adoption is me finishing his outdoor habitat in our yard. We have a 6-foot privacy fence with chicken wire at the bottom buried to 6-10 inches. Our yard is large, about 1/4 acre. Jasper will have a tortoise house with heating and cooling and a smaller 10x16 enclosure to pen him up when we mow or need him contained. I bought plans for a doghouse on Etsy that will be easily adaptable for a tortoise house. I'm pretty handy, so that should come together quickly. I'm just held up by this dang heat! I don't want to be outside digging the trench for the smaller enclosure (we plan to bury it about 10" deep to prevent burrowing out) while it's so hot.

This forum has been very helpful over the last week or so while I gathered ideas and plans for the tortoise house and enclosure. I hope to continue learning and maybe become a contributing member one of these days. I'm a dog trainer so I'm interested in learning if Jasper will be open to target training or anything similar.

Thanks for having us!
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on the rescue.

Let me save you a whole bunch of time and effort. You do not need to dig down and bury wire and stuff. Sulcatas don't "dig out". When they do dig, they dig a burrow at about a 30-40 degree angle and uses that one tunnel to go closer to the surface or farther from the surface. If they can see a gap under a fence, they might try to force their way out, but they don't dig out like a dog would.

Here are two examples of the type of shelter you'd need. In your area, a 10x10 shed high be a good idea for those occasional winter cold spells. A 4x8 box for several days in a row is a bit cramped. I worked in Senoia for three years and have a house there, so I'm familiar with your weather.

Most of the care info for these guys is all wrong, so here are a couple of threads explaining a whole bunch of the right stuff:

Questions are welcome.

Last edited: