Introduction: Taylor and Jasper

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No, the night temps drop to near 75 even now if we’re having a lot of rain. So should I tell the rescue they need to keep him until I finish the tortoise house like we had planned from the beginning?

The gate needs to be functional for our lawn guys to access. I would love to just hang a 2x12 with hinges and a latch rather than build something like I sketched. Would that be acceptable?
75 for a few nights when we are in July or August and the daytime high is up at least in the 90s every day should be fine. When it starts dipping into the low 70s, high 60s and its humid, that is where you can run into problems.

A 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11, so you'd need two of them if you went that route. Or a 2x12 and a 2x8 would do it.

ABCDogs+

Georgia
Hi everybody! Jasper is coming home tomorrow and I’m soooo excited.

I am going to start a thread regarding the winter house I’m building. I found an amazing deal on Facebook Marketplace for a super nice, insulated roof that used to be a well pump cover. Its measurements are just under 7x5. With this roof I’ll actually be spending less than I would on the 4x4 doghouse I was going to modify and he’ll be getting a much bigger, better house!
IMG_3311.jpeg
I’m now thinking about how I’m going to access the inside for heating management. I’m sure I’ll need to check the heat panel and wiring regularly. On the doghouse plans I was going to have a hinged roof. And I may still do that depending on how manageable that would be with this roof. I may add a small hatch on one side, but that hatch would not be able to be insulated as well. So I’ll figure it out when I start building I guess.

ABCDogs+

Georgia
Jasper is home! We’ve been talking about this for so long I almost can’t believe we have him. It’s such a major commitment, I’m glad we took our time. And he’s so sweet. No charging, no shying away. He’s already following us around the yard begging for cucumber slices.

The dogs have been introduced on leash, at a distance, individually. No major concerns. They show interest but no aggression and we’re all pretty easy to redirect. Ideally, they’ll learn to just ignore him. They’ll never under any circumstances be allowed access to him unsupervised, but I do hope we can all hang out in the yard eventually. I’m willing to take this slowly, and do it right.

I’m on cloud nine. Jasper is so great.

Photos of him and my toddler, R. And him just munching away on the grass.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3349.jpeg
    IMG_3349.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Jasper is home! We’ve been talking about this for so long I almost can’t believe we have him. It’s such a major commitment, I’m glad we took our time. And he’s so sweet. No charging, no shying away. He’s already following us around the yard begging for cucumber slices.

The dogs have been introduced on leash, at a distance, individually. No major concerns. They show interest but no aggression and we’re all pretty easy to redirect. Ideally, they’ll learn to just ignore him. They’ll never under any circumstances be allowed access to him unsupervised, but I do hope we can all hang out in the yard eventually. I’m willing to take this slowly, and do it right.

I’m on cloud nine. Jasper is so great.

Photos of him and my toddler, R. And him just munching away on the grass.
Congrats! Jasper is gorgeous