Introduction

Andy Le Nguye

Hello I'm Andy! I just got two brand new baby sulcata tortoises. One is a male and the other is a female! I made a low rolling tortoise table! I am using a mixed substrate of some wood chip on top of sand. Of course right now I am keeping the table moist for them by spraying warm water in on the table at the corners. I haven't actually named them yet too. I hope to get advice from the people on this website! Thank you!

14335277152151226263753.jpg 1433527745289484858114.jpg 1433527766485-935598975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Killerrookie

Yes more Sulcatas!! Am I dreaming?!?!? They look very good and cute as well! Make sure you keep that humidity up in the 80s or so to keep them from pyramiding. In your pictures are those little white rocks?!? If so I would get those out because hatchlings are very curious buggers that like to eat anything that can fit in there mouth. It can also cause some problems in there digestive system if swallowed.

Andy Le Nguye

How would I keep the humidity up into the 80s? Right now I can only get it up to the 60s max. I will scoop those out right away!

Killerrookie

Most people use a kind of green house top to keep the humidity in or over the entire too with foil paper except where the lights are.

Andy Le Nguye

Do you think I can just use a small humidifier for my tortoise table and still have an open top?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Andy.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but your babies are way too young/small to know their sex. Please be sure to read the care sheet pinned at the top of our Sulcata section. It will give you some tips on feeding your babies. From what I'm seeing in their food dish, I'll bet you haven't seen them eat much. They won't usually eat dry kibble and for sure they don't eat grass until they're at least two or three years old. You can pick some fresh, edible weeds and cut up some fresh blades of grass and mix in, but just feeding dry like that, I doubt they'll eat it. Bananas/fruit is also a no no. Fruit should be fed very sparingly, and maybe as an infrequent treat. The care sheet I mentioned gives good info on how to set up and feed your new babies.

Andy Le Nguye

Yeah they didnt eat any, I went out a bought some lettuce and sprinkled some calcium powder on top of them and moistened them up, both of them B-lined straight for it! I was so happy!

Attachments

• 20150605_125008.jpg
    20150605_125008.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ .It looks like your getting some great advice for now !

Andy Le Nguye

Update day 2: They are eating lettuce and enjoying it!

Attachments

• 20150606_062015.jpg
    20150606_062015.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Update day 2: They are eating lettuce and enjoying it!
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum you will learn a lot and if you are prepared to follow the advice offered from people who have many years of experience then you should have happy healthy torts for many years,

Torts love lettuce but some sorts are not good for them on a regular basis, its a bit like junk food and as with tomatoes, ,cucumber etc should only be fed occasionally as a treat. if you read the caresheet for Sulcatas that Yvonne mentioned that will tell you about diet, temps, humidity, substrate etc,. The Enclosures thread will also give you great ideas and I also found the beginners Mistakes thread useful to help me avoid making the same mistakes. Also check www.thetortoisetable.or.uk to check foods that are safe or not.

Sand isn't always recommended as a substrate because it dries and if it gets on food it could become impacted in the torts gut and cause problems but see what the caresheet says.

Also keep an eye on the two torts as they grow because one will become dominant and bully and harass the other which can cause stress and illness. Torts are better on their own as they don't need company.

Andy Le Nguye

That link doesn't work for me, but I have been reading and I heard that mazuri is good for the tortoises. I'll have to get some right away! I'll also buy some cuttlebones for them too.