Titan don't like humidity! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
SO i moved him today from his dry temporary beech wood chip substrated vivarium to his nice humid damp substrate table with sleeping quarters! the whole shebang. all he has tried to do is frantically get out. tipping himself over 3 times and squealed a few times too. tried to bite his nice new rocks i put in there and hardly eaten a thing all day. I really ant him to stay in a humid environment because when i got him there was already signs of pyramiding. but what am i supposed to do if he isn't happy :(

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Don't worry about him not liking it. I would expect some time for your little guy to settle in.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Give him some time to settle in to the new enclosure. Maybe you could use something that is familiar to him from the old vivarium, such as his favorite hiding spot, to help him feel secure. Could you post a picture of the new table. We may be able to spot something from the photo that will help you out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Damp" and "table" usually don't work together. An open air table leads to all sorts of evaporation, which leads to all sorts of coolness, unless your table sits in a room with warm tropical conditions. What are your four temps? What are you using for heating and lighting? What size table is it?

The behavior you describe does not sound like an unhappy tortoise to me. It sounds like a tortoise exploring a new environment.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
Tom said:
"Damp" and "table" usually don't work together. An open air table leads to all sorts of evaporation, which leads to all sorts of coolness, unless your table sits in a room with warm tropical conditions. What are your four temps? What are you using for heating and lighting? What size table is it?

The behavior you describe does not sound like an unhappy tortoise to me. It sounds like a tortoise exploring a new environment.

The damp and table thing is something i was thinking about too tom! Ive read your threads and love the work you do/have done! i was going to make a form of lid for the table but cant find anywhere to buy what im looking for right now! should i have kept him in the viv and raised humidity level's in there? I have a uvb strip attached to the top of the table and a 100w iridescent heat bulb hanging over one end for his basking spot which sits between 30-32 degrees Celsius. I am awaiting a ceramic heater bulb to arrive in the post to put at the other end. also in his bedding area i have a heat mat with thermostat on it keeping that end warm it sits around 28-29 Celsius. The table is 3 foot long and 1 and a half foot wide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like your temps are okay. This is a case of "every enclosure is different". General suggestions and guidelines can be given, but everyone still has to fine tune things for themselves.

I think Ken is right about giving him some time to settle in, and I like Joe's suggestion to post a pic for us too. That would help.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
from one extreme to another.... he just needs time to adjust to an un-familiar place!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just curious, how big are the rocks? Cooper use to try and eat rocks, but I guess he grew out of it after getting his nose tapped on for a month. :p

Kylohx

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Sounds like your temps are okay. This is a case of "every enclosure is different". General suggestions and guidelines can be given, but everyone still has to fine tune things for themselves.

I think Ken is right about giving him some time to settle in, and I like Joe's suggestion to post a pic for us too. That would help.

Following the humidity rules strictly ive put him back in a viv for now its only 2 foot but will change to a bigger one asap. the temps and humidity are alot more stable. just makes sense to keep him that way! don't mean to stress the little guy out moving him around. he seems alot more content in the viv tho! ile get a pic up of my setup soon as i find my stupid usb lead! thanks for the help guys! just wanna do whats best by him.

cemmons12 said:
Just curious, how big are the rocks? Cooper use to try and eat rocks, but I guess he grew out of it after getting his nose tapped on for a month. :p

The rocks are about the size of him but flat! lol no chance of accidentally swallowing any! xD i love that name! cooper! :)

Kylohx

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Kyloh said:
... just wanna do whats best by him.

We're happy to help you with that goal. :D

Thankyou! :) well he is back in a viv temps are high and humidity is around 80! he seems more content. plodding about. sleeping... eating... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.