sully humidity confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I have read on every tort care sheet on the net not to keep my Franklin in a humid environment and that him walking around on a damp ground bc it could give him health probs, but I have read ppl on this forum giving others advice to spritz their substrate and keep their sully in a humid environment. I am so stressed about keeping Franklin happy and healthy. Some good, experienced advice would be wonderful!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Sadly your correct, there is a lot of contradiction on tortoise care. Keeping a tortoise (especially a hatchling) dry is more old school thinking and as such a bit outdated. We have come to realize that hatchlings live in burrows and under plants, where the humidity levels are higher. Keeping them on damp substrate helps them be healthy and is one of the things that seems to keep pyramiding to a minimum. Now damp substrate can be bad, if you keep the substrate too cold. :cool: That does not mean to keep the temps hot. Instead keep the temps, so there is a range within his enclosure between warm and slightly cooler temps. That way he can find a spot to fit his current needs and wants.

If your worried about too much humidity, have an area that you keep drier and/or have a humid hide box set up. To me having a dry area along with the damper substrate makes the best over all sense. Also keep in mind damp does not mean wet. If you squeeze your substrate, no moisture should run out of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
My Gupta is a hatchling Sulcata and about two inches long or so and he stays in 90% humidity and very very wet substrate. He is very healthy, as long as you keep it really warm over 80 degrees everywhere in the enclosure he will not get sick. Sulcatas are Very resistant to shell rot, my Gupta is thriving in his high humidity :) I followed the already posted threads by Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.