introduction

jucfletch

Hi, I am a new tortoise owner and was wandering if could you tell me how often my 8 year old leopard tortoise Bertie should poo. i have only had him 4 days and have only noticed him passing faeces once.
I have bathed him twice and he is eating small amounts but nor really sure how much he should be having. I have given him, cabbage , strawberrys, carrots , tomatoes, mushrooms and kale all small portions. Timothyhay is also available ad lib.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Torts can be very slow to adapt to change and a small tort's poop can be hard to spot at first.

We love pictures :) Pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you get things perfect.

You will also need to know the 4 important temperatures accurately: Directly under the basking lamp, warm side, cool side and overnight minimum. The basking is particularly important for activity and to digest food - so has a knock on effect on poop.

Your tort's is a grassland tort and should have a diet of leafy greens and weeds. It cannot digest sugars properly, so should only be fed fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot occasionally to avoid being sick.

Soak your new friend daily until he's settled.

Please read the following as they will help you to get the setup correct and also adjust your tort's diet.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tort
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

My baby leopards pooped several times a day. Are you feeding him a lot? And do you soak him daily?

A change in diet is necessary. None of the things you feed are correct for a leopard tortoise. Here's a list to choose from, but don't use the same thing all the time. Variety is key:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles