Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMike

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm Mike. I live in the San Jose area. I have two female Sulcatas, six Russians, a Desert Tortoise and three box turtles. I have had the Russians quite a while but just recently acquired the Sulcatas. We took them in because their care was substandard. Their shells show extreme pyramiding and they are pretty soft.

Attachments

• DSCN0011.JPG
    DSCN0011.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 38

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! It looks like the one has a really bad case of MBD (metabolic bone disease). :( Just so flat. You said they are still soft too, right? :( They and you have a long road of head of them/you. Glad they will atleast have a chance with you.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Mike and welcome to the foroum..

Those two girls will need a lot of tlc to get better...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Mike welcome to the :tort: forum great save on the sullies :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'd love to see pics of your russians too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Please be sure to give those sulcatas extra calcium and feed them calcium-rich foods. That, along with plenty of real sunshine, will go a long way towards strengthening up those weak bones and shells.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Hello and welcome! Glad to see that those two will get better care.

TortoiseMike

5 Year Member
Thanks all! Glad to join the forum and gain new insight and be able to share whatever knowledge I have, with everyone, back and forth. As to my Sulcata's... Been to vet and as you All have said... It is MBD. But them only being six and young still with long life ahead, still repairable. Vet gave us neo-calglucon(calcium supplement). We actually have had our Russians a few years now (each acquired separately by adoption here or there/ one or two rescued from local Petco as a drop-off), and have been thru this routine before. The Sulcata's we're stuck in a small glass death trap with rotting hay and grasses, mixed with poop everywhere. What a mess. Luckily we have a system in place already here that works. Each group has their own enclosure outside for daytime then an inside sleeping quarter.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! Sun Sun and more sun and what they said! :)

TortoiseMike

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! My wife and I love our chelonian's and hope that it shows in our treatment and outlook. Sorry I've been to busy to reply last couple days... One of our Russians- Natasha, has come down with what we think is upper respiratory infection. Vet visit, med's, and a isolation spot, plus lots of cleaning. She seems to be perking up. I'll keep you all informed as I get time. Plus with work... Busy, busy.... BUSY! But our torts are worth it all and they truly bring such joy to our lives. UPS and downs are to be expected in all parts of life- No? We have Ivana(our first tort of all- about four years now), Svetlana, Natasha( sick), Boris, Ivan, and Vlad( he's the most out going of all and will chase you for food!). Then our Desert tortoise, Polly. But I like to call Pauly because he's actually a male! And then our crazy shy Sulcata's- Frekka and Sully. They are great

Status
Not open for further replies.