IR thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I recently purchased an ir thermometer. The readings are slightly different than the thermometer I am using in my habitat. I am attributing the difference to measuring the air temp vs. surface temperature.

It just got me thinking, is there a way to test the accuracy of ir thermometers? I thought of boiling water, but read that boiling point can be slightly different temps dependent on some variables. I guess in the grand scheme of things, if it's off 1 degree it probably won't matter much. I just have to know if it's accurate, lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
the tempguns are all I have used for measuring temps for years. I think they are much, much more accurate than most thermometers used in habitats, except maybe the digital with probes. I like temp guns because want to know what the temp is in my animals basking spot and on the floor level where the animal will actually be hanging out. I'd feel lost without my tempgun!

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Lisa127,
Thank you for the info on temp guns. I keep buying and returning t-stats, they all seem to be junk. I will invest in the temp gun. I believe Amazon has good prices on them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I used to have the Pro Exotics temp gun, which I liked a lot. Now I have the Zoo Med one and it is ok, but I like the PE one better. It's easier to use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why I like to use BOTH a temp gun AND a remote probed thermometer. Plus don't forget to let your tortoise help you make adjustments in temps too. Knowing the temp is great, but reading the torts behavior and making slight adjustments is even better.

Good subject Laurie.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't think there is a way to calibrate the IR temp guns, but having more than one thermometer is a good idea. At the very least it will give you a narrow range of what your temperatures actually are.

It would be very difficult to maintain a constant temperature in parts of your enclosure. It's easier to think in terms of acceptable temperature ranges.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Thanks for the responses. I am going to be getting a probe thermometer as well, any recommendations? That is what I was wondering, Neal, if there was a way to calibrate an IR thermometer.

Tom said:
This is why I like to use BOTH a temp gun AND a remote probed thermometer. Plus don't forget to let your tortoise help you make adjustments in temps too. Knowing the temp is great, but reading the torts behavior and making slight adjustments is even better.

This is what got me thinking about temps in the first place. Tina hardly ever uses the cool side of her enclosure. I began to think maybe she wasnt warm enough, that was why I purchased the IR thermometer. I wanted to double check her temperatures. Everything seems to be fine, cool side at farthest point from light is 70 degrees, warm side hovering around 80 with a basking point that is 100 degress directly under MVB. I am providing her with 6+ inches of coconut coir and it seems she prefers to burrow to regulate her temperatures. She always burrows in the warm side, usually at different depths during the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
70 on the cool side should be fine for a russian in theory, but yours seems to be saying she wants to be warmer. Try adding another bulb both for light and for heat over on the cool side and see what happens.

These things are always a work in progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.