Irritated

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Hello guys, as you know I've been preparing bubba's tank. I've walked into a problem this morning. Before I say anything, obviously I am going to clean the tank and re do all of it, but anyways the dirt I have put in the tank I noticed that this morning there is a tiny bit of mold.. already. Not even 24 hours have gone by.. I'm guessing it's probably the UV bulb is to close as it is way to hot in there for bubba.. husband was trying to help but now I shall figure it out myself.. bubba of course isn't in there yet, he's still in the incubator until I can figure this issue out. It was only mold on one little clump of dirt but I'm confused as to why and how do I prevent that.. I am at the moment, broke as heck... I'm going to be moving his tank so I can put the light farther above it so it doesn't get so hot. My husband told me to wash the dirt.. wash the mud and then dry it... How does one go about that without making a huge mucky mess? I'm not very fond of this idea [emoji52][emoji58] but if it'll work I'll try anything once to help Mr bubba. I am so irritated as everything I try to do backfires in my face and I have to redo it all. Maybe flustered is a better word for it. Anywho taking apart the tank and washing and redoing .. wish me luck

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some pictures always help for us all to get a visual of what you are working with. Washing dirt, to me, sounds like a non-starter.

I have a back garden full of composting leaves, ferns, tree stumps, etc. do you have any access to just regular forest/marsh land area? Box turtles don’t need to be that hot, not sure what your enclosure is. It’s so easy to start with new, fresh cypress mulch (Lowes @$3.00 for 2 cubic feet) or easily available leaf litter for free!

Id toss and start clean.

Id think in MN that you have access to good cover for Boxies!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Some pictures always help for us all to get a visual of what you are working with. Washing dirt, to me, sounds like a non-starter.

I have a back garden full of composting leaves, ferns, tree stumps, etc. do you have any access to just regular forest/marsh land area? Box turtles don’t need to be that hot, not sure what your enclosure is. It’s so easy to start with new, fresh cypress mulch (Lowes @$3.00 for 2 cubic feet) or easily available leaf litter for free!

Id toss and start clean.

Id think in MN that you have access to good cover for Boxies!
Oh yes pictures will be posted here in a minute. I just have a uvb lightbulb from Walmart not sure how many watt. And I went and grabbed leaves and dirt from outside where I have grown flowers in the past I didn't figure it was an issue cuz they live outside in nature in the same dirt. Also grabbed tons of leaves and a few plants that I know are okay for him to hide in. My guess is that the light is just to close to the dirt and when I shut it off last night the moisture sprouted a little mold. Throwing it out and starting anew. I have a plate for a water dish. It's kind of a big @$$ plate I need to find a smaller one.. yes definitely had bulb to close it's 75 watt reptile bulb. Right in the box it says 18" is 83 degrees. Just put up a good sturdy shelf for his tank that the light can hang farther above. Don't mind the mud in the water dish.. didn't realized I poured it right in it.. finding a smaller plate. Please let me know if I need to fix anything, I am restarting anyways lol1568219299138.jpeg1568219338739.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh yes pictures will be posted here in a minute. I just have a uvb lightbulb from Walmart not sure how many watt. And I went and grabbed leaves and dirt from outside where I have grown flowers in the past I didn't figure it was an issue cuz they live outside in nature in the same dirt. Also grabbed tons of leaves and a few plants that I know are okay for him to hide in. My guess is that the light is just to close to the dirt and when I shut it off last night the moisture sprouted a little mold. Throwing it out and starting anew. I have a plate for a water dish. It's kind of a big @$$ plate I need to find a smaller one.. yes definitely had bulb to close it's 75 watt reptile bulb. Right in the box it says 18" is 83 degrees. Just put up a good sturdy shelf for his tank that the light can hang farther above. Don't mind the mud in the water dish.. didn't realized I poured it right in it.. finding a smaller plate. Please let me know if I need to fix anything, I am restarting anyways lolView attachment 280363View attachment 280364
Are you sure it's a UVB bulb and not just a basking bulb? As far as I'm aware they don't sell them at Walmart. At least I've never seen them there. In any case the light didn't cause the mold. Mold usually grows on old food pieces or feces. That's the only place I've ever found it in my enclosures.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Are you sure it's a UVB bulb and not just a basking bulb? As far as I'm aware they don't sell them at Walmart. At least I've never seen them there. In any case the light didn't cause the mold. Mold usually grows on old food pieces or feces. That's the only place I've ever found it in my enclosures.
Um it certainly could be a basking bulb. Whatever Walmart had I grabbed and honestly this was awhile ago that I bought the bulb.. I have the same one above my snapper pool for the warmth. Warmth was what I was trying to get for now seeing as it's been getting colder. ill have to make a trip to a Petco or something. And I haven't had any food or anything in the enclosure. I just put the dirt and everything in yesterday to test what temps it would run. There's just leaves and dirt and some grass inside. Could it be the moisture causing the mold? I'm flustered with it.. trying to make due with what I have isn't working.. thank you for your comment. He isn't going in the tank until I feel it's bubba ready..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Um it certainly could be a basking bulb. Whatever Walmart had I grabbed and honestly this was awhile ago that I bought the bulb.. I have the same one above my snapper pool for the warmth. Warmth was what I was trying to get for now seeing as it's been getting colder. ill have to make a trip to a Petco or something. And I haven't had any food or anything in the enclosure. I just put the dirt and everything in yesterday to test what temps it would run. There's just leaves and dirt and some grass inside. Could it be the moisture causing the mold? I'm flustered with it.. trying to make due with what I have isn't working.. thank you for your comment. He isn't going in the tank until I feel it's bubba ready..
It's probably just some old decaying matter in the soil. As long as you spot clean everyday you should be fine. Also FYI Petco will match Chewy prices in store. Just show them the chewy ad at the register. My turtle food cost $19 at Petco. I get it at the Chewy price $5.50.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
It's probably just some old decaying matter in the soil. As long as you spot clean everyday you should be fine. Also FYI Petco will match Chewy prices in store. Just show them the chewy ad at the register. My turtle food cost $19 at Petco. I get it at the Chewy price $5.50.
Thank you I had no idea they will match chewys prices. I'll definitely be doing that. That's quite a price difference so glad you told me! And okay thank you for telling me about spot cleaning daily and it should be okay. I was figuring it had to have been something in the dirt. [emoji3526] Thank you again for your help. I don't know where I would be without everyone on tortforum. Probably a clueless owner..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you I had no idea they will match chewys prices. I'll definitely be doing that. That's quite a price difference so glad you told me! And okay thank you for telling me about spot cleaning daily and it should be okay. I was figuring it had to have been something in the dirt. [emoji3526] Thank you again for your help. I don't know where I would be without everyone on tortforum. Probably a clueless owner..
Same here lol

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi,

Sorry for your frustrations... it is tricky seeing things up initially, but once the enclosure is setup, it tends to run pretty smoothly.

One of the things that helps a lot is a thermostat to run your heating and/or basking lamp through... you just set the top acceptable temperature, and it'll shut off the heating element (or light) once it reaches that point, turning it back on once the chamber cooks of a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

That, along with a timer for the UV lighting, so that you can keep the on/off times and daylengths consistent, are wonderful tools to help make the tortoise enclosure work easier, better, and safer.

As to the mold, just spot clean out the bits with mold rather than throw everything away... I do that everyday with my torts.

Good luck!

Jamie

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Hi,

Sorry for your frustrations... it is tricky seeing things up initially, but once the enclosure is setup, it tends to run pretty smoothly.

One of the things that helps a lot is a thermostat to run your heating and/or basking lamp through... you just set the top acceptable temperature, and it'll shut off the heating element (or light) once it reaches that point, turning it back on once the chamber cooks of a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

That, along with a timer for the UV lighting, so that you can keep the on/off times and daylengths consistent, are wonderful tools to help make the tortoise enclosure work easier, better, and safer.

As to the mold, just spot clean out the bits with mold rather than throw everything away... I do that everyday with my torts.

Good luck!

Jamie
Thank you so much Jamie! Yes I think getting it set up is the most frustrating part of the entire ordeal.. oh yes, adding a thermostat and a timer to my list of things to get asap! Spot cleaning sounds so much easier than restarting. I took the moldy chunk out and sprinkled new dirt over the top layer. Thank you so much again Jamie! Very much appreciated. As soon as the enclosure is done I definitely won't be as stressed. He's a new species for me, so it's all been a new experience and learning tons of new things.. Box turtles like cover, would a little humidifier that creates a fog, be okay to put in? I like that idea and if that's okay I'll add it to my list as well.