Is allium porrum/leek safe for sulcata

sulandcata

Location (City and/or State)
Nuevo Leon
Hi I am trying to feed my tortoise but since we are in the middle of a water crisis all the grass i had have been eaten and is not growing I was wondering if I can give them leek the vegetable not the plant(the one that farfetchd from pokemon has)?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure about leeks, but even if they can have it, it wouldn't make a good diet alone.
Hay, cactus, mulberry leaf, rose of Sharon leaf and flower, dandelion. As for grocery greens, arugula, endive, and ridicchio are some of the better ones.

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
I am giving a mix of supermarket greens at the moment because of the grass issue but one of the things i have is the leek but i am not sure if it is safe

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
The Tortoise Table says that all varieties of Allium should not be fed to tortoises.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk...rchchoice=exactwords&searchtxt=allium&x=0&y=0
I saw that page before and it didn´t say anything about this type of leek or this type of allum and the only place that has information says it is safe just as chives which on the page you sent says it is not but i guess i will not use it to be in the safer side as it is part of the allum family.

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
For future reference if someone has the same question I just found some information that could help answer this question.
One of the things that cause harm to tortoise seems to be a chemical called n-propyl disulfide that garlic onions and some other bulb type plants have. The leek bought in supermarket also has this chemical which is the responsible for leek poisoning in cats so if I have to guess based on that I don´t think it is a safe food due to having the same chemical that causes issues on tortoise from other types of plants. However this is just what I found and I am no expert on the topic.
So with that in mind I will not be using it.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I saw that page before and it didn´t say anything about this type of leek or this type of allum and the only place that has information says it is safe just as chives which on the page you sent says it is not but i guess i will not use it to be in the safer side as it is part of the allum family.
It says "Allium spp." in the first result. The "spp." means ALL varieties of Allium.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you get the Mazuri grassland tortoise food to buy?

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
Can you get the Mazuri grassland tortoise food to buy?
From where i am I can only get the small bag i wish i could get the 11kilo one however, the issue is not that i don´t have food for them it was more that since i have basically a lot of leek I was wondering if it was safe or not Since normally I give them inhouse grown cat grass but since there are limitations with water I am not able to grow the grass so I am switching to a supermarket diet and wasn´t sure if leek that is one of the vegetables I normally eat 3 to 4 times a week was something I could give them

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Alliums are one of the few plants that we have seen actual reports of harm from here on the forum, the other being tulips, which is also a bulb plant. These cases are very, very few but have only ever involved African tortoises. I am a very relaxed feeder and will sometimes give my Russian a bit of chive or green onion top but would not so so with an African tortoise. So no on the leeks, sorry.

I'm not at all familiar with the geography of Nuevo León but can you get nopales? That's an excellent food. And if they will take to it, some Jamaica is a decent thing to mix in. Leaves to the Jamaica plant are even better than the flowers.

Mexico is such a large country I hate to offer any advice but in case it is at all helpful, here is a post I made about visiting a Mexican market here in Southern California: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/trip-to-a-mexican-market.180123/.

The food tips we post here aren't necessarily useful outside of North America so let us know more about foods specifically available to you and we'll see what we can do to help.