Is everything I’m doing with my Tortoise ok?

AngelaAnaconda

Location (City and/or State)
LOVELAND
My tortoise Dominic Tortretto has been running laps in the basking area for hours now. I just got him this morning and I’m not sure if something is wrong. He didn’t really respond to soaking and ate some shredded carrots out of my hand. Can you guys tell me if I’m doing anything wrong or if it’s just Dom getting used to the area. Thanks again fellas (As I was writing this dom went and buried himself)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hatchling?

They don't poop automatically in their soak. He needs some time to settle in.

few things i see though that could use some changing. That sticky thermometer /humidty gauge is very unreliable. I would look to upgrade that asap.

90 is high for warm side temp. it should 90 under the basking light and @80-85 around it.
your humidity is way to low. should be @60-70%

You will have a tough time keeping in heat and humidity with an open top.

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
what kind of thermometer/humidity gauge should I use? Would I just have to spray in the enclosure and have a cover to increase the humidity that high or would I need to do something else?

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
my tort is very sluggish now and I'm starting to get worried. I'm gonna rush to lowes and get some plastic sheeting and maybe this will solve it.

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
my tort is very sluggish now and I'm starting to get worried. I'm gonna rush to lowes and get some plastic sheeting and maybe this will solve it.
ah never mind they are closed. would a plastic cover from a plastic storage container work? like from one of these?

Attachments

• 51EbupDALpL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    51EbupDALpL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
He's not sluggish because of the humidity... It's something you have to get under control for long-term health but he's fine for now.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hatchlings hide... A lot. Read the care sheet for hermann's. Get your temps/humidity dialed in and you should be ok

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
Thank you for all the help! Really makes me feel better! I will try and find something to increase the humidity and hopefully, he will eat more!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hatchlings also have no idea the stress they cause us... I remember being in a constant state of worry when I first got my tort... You will eventually learn to take deep breaths before panicking

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

He was "running laps" because he was put into a new area and he wasn't sure where to go to hide from all the terrible predators that may be around to eat him. Now that he's found a hiding place, he's going to stay there until he feels sure he's safe.

Please read that care sheet that was linked for you. There are some things that are not quite right that I see in your pictures. (shredded carrots for one)

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
Man for the life of me I cannot find a 45-60 w non led non-halogen floodlight or at least at any hardware store close by. do you guys any suggestions?

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
Hi, and welcome!

He was "running laps" because he was put into a new area and he wasn't sure where to go to hide from all the terrible predators that may be around to eat him. Now that he's found a hiding place, he's going to stay there until he feels sure he's safe.

Please read that care sheet that was linked for you. There are some things that are not quite right that I see in your pictures. (shredded carrots for one)
What is something wrong with what you see?

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
This is honestly the best care guide I have ever found

AngelaAnaconda

LOVELAND
I think I have everything now. I just need to get the humidity up and I think we are good to go! Thanks everyone! I was panicking but I believe everything is ok now!