Is he pyramiding or just growing???

TerryTerrapin

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I'm almost certain I'm feeding him too much

These photos were taken two weeks apart
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417651360.624885.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417651377.526561.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I have limited turtle knowledge but I've never heard of a turtle being pyramided. That's more of a tortoise thing, usually associated with low humidity levels.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm almost certain I'm feeding him too much

These photos were taken two weeks apart
View attachment 107789View attachment 107790

If you do not offer uv rays and a place to dry out for the tort under a basking spot...then the shell can become unhealthy....yes, turtle do also pyramid....again, humidity and moisture are NOT the only factor in pyramiding....and what a cute little turtle by the way....

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
The tank is half open top so there's good air circulation, and although I have a UVB 2.0 lamp he doesn't like to bask a whole lot. He will however climb up onto his rock, stay there for a few minutes, jump back in and repeat!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If he's not basking, the basking area isn't suiting him somehow. Wrong temp is often the problem. Coil bulbs hurt the eyes, so that's another potential problem.

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
I'd guess he basks frequently but never for long periods, enough to dry off anyway. Water quality is fine and I take him out once a week or so for a good walk around the house for a complete dry-off in case he doesn't do it himself. I do work long hours (12hr shifts) so he may very well be basking while I'm not there, also I'm aware maps are known to be shy baskers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moozillion is right on. That type of water turtle is supposed to have those bumps on its keel.

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
Im not worried about those keels along his back, I think perhaps the colour of the scutes and growth in between is making me doubt myself that he's ok? He's only 6 months old (ish) so certainly not at all fully grown

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't keep aquatic turtles (yet!) but I think he looks really good! :)