Is he pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dielawn

5 Year Member
I have had Gizmo since dec. 24 2009. He was about the size of a silver dollar when i got him. It is now Feb. 4th and he is about 2 in. wide and about 2.5 in. long. I am guessing he is around 3-4 months old? He is growing like crazy. Cosmo, my other greek, who i believe is very close in age as gizmo almost seems to be shrinking. I know cosmo is not shrinking but at the rate gizmo is growing it makes it seem like hes shrinking! They are both very active and healthy at this point.

I have recently noticed gizmo is getting rigid on his shell. Some of the rings are protruding decently from the others on his shell. Also I dont seem to notice anything abnormal about cosmo's shell, but he is not growing fast at all. I know gizmo is growing fast and I am concerned if it is the start of him pyramiding. Or will his shell smooth out a bit when he stops growing so quickly? I have the humidity at around 50% for the most part. I try to keep it as high as possible but i may have to cover half their enclosure to increase and keep the humidity in. So my question is, Pyramiding or just growing quickly?

His shell is dam near symmetrical and is gorgeous I would hate to be the one responsible for ruining that.

Here are some pics. Its hard to get a good picture so close up. Input? Suggestions?

egyh3c.jpg

vur5w.jpg

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Hmmm..I think we need clearer pics. Hard to tell. Pyramiding can be caised by several reasons. ..rapid growth being one.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Based on the shadows, it looks like its starting. I don't believe the rapid growth thing about pyramiding. I have a Greek girl (golden cross) that put on over an inch in 5 or so months, and she's smooth as all get out. What's your setup like? Substrate?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
my photos blur so close up as well, try standing back and zooming in

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yup! That's my Golden Cross. Thanks for linking dreadyA! She's now over 3 inches SCL. She'll be 7 months old on the 25th, and I'm betting she'll be at least 3.5" SCL by then. She eats like a piggy, loves her mazuri, and uses her moist side very well.

S

stells

Looks to me that the new growth is smooth... but the older growth has a slight bump to it...as the newer stuff is smoother i wouldn't worry to much...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A few photos of some of my young 18 months old Ibera Greeks, born and raised here. They range in size from about 2.5-3 inches. Kept well hydrated and on a semi-moist substrate. Fed a diet of 80% good quality greens, 20% vegetables. Timothy hay always available for grazing. No vitamins supplements ever, calcium offered only as a side, never sprinkled on their food. Ambient heat 75-80 degrees daily, 62-68 degrees nightly. 40 watt regular incandscent basking light, 5.0 flourescent UV light. 14 hour light cycle. They spent the end of summer 2008 and all of the summer of 2009 outdoors.
DSC00025.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

My point being, the closer their growth rate corresponds to what they would in nature, the smoother they will be. Hydration (or lack of), diet, temperatures and activity level all play a part in their growth rate and preventing pyramiding.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm not seeing any pyramiding either :)

Danny

dielawn

5 Year Member
I love the pictures! And now that I re-look at his shell, you are correct. The large ridge is from one of his original scutes. It looks as though all of his new growth is perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.