Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia

Schlomo

5 Year Member
the link does not go to a specific product - I assume they recommended a fluorescent bulb? If so, I have heard many people say that it is actually bad for the eyes. Most people seem to recommend the Mercury Vapor Bulbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the longest time all I ever used on indoor habitats was regular 100 watt incandescent bulbs. My qualifier here is the fact that I don't really keep tortoises indoors. Even my over-wintering habitats are outside on the car port (with heaters, etc and closed lids for cold days and nights.

I was finally talked into buying UVB for my indoor, overwintering tortoises, and I bought the T-Rex 100 watt mercury vapor bulb (MVB). I noticed such a big difference in the tortoises activity and a ppetites, that I was immediately sold on the idea of using the MVB for the babies.

Eventually, someone, somewhere found a problem with the T-Rex bulbs and they were pulled from the market. So I went with 100 watt Powersun. Its a little bigger and doesn't fit inside the bell of the light fixture as well as the T-Rex did, but it serves the purpose and does a good job.

Far as I'm concerned, anything other than a MVB is a waste of money (especially the flourescent bulbs).

Gizmo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
sorry, it's the Zilla Tropical 25 UVB flourescent light, it's 13 watts coil bulb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, No, 1,000 times NO!!! Never use a coil bulb. They have been known to cause blindness in baby tortoises.

They are supposedly fixed now, but you have no way of knowing if you're buying an old, un-fixed one or a new one. At any rate, 25 watts probably isn't big enough.

Gizmo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
thanks, I am really second guessing everything they told me at Petco. When I got him om friday they told me he was a girl, when I googled it the next day it was pretty clear gizmo was a male. I'm going to order a powerson instead.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for you to do your research. Big box pet stores seem to consistently give bad advice, unfortunately.
Powersun MVB is a great bulb. Make sure you have a light fixture with a ceramic base and that it hangs straight down, not at an angle.

Gizmo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
lynnedit said:
Good for you to do your research. Big box pet stores seem to consistently give bad advice, unfortunately.
Powersun MVB is a great bulb. Make sure you have a light fixture with a ceramic base and that it hangs straight down, not at an angle.

Thanks Lynn. When I bought Gizmo I bought 2 of those Ceramic fixtures, one was for heat and the other was for UV. I took back one of the fixtures and both of the bulbs I had bought (and used), Petco was really great about refunding me for the bulbs even though they had been used and were out of the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.