Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was given two hatchlings by a woman who said she brought them here from Mexico. I kept them because of their unusual color. One has since died, but I'm showing the other here next to a regular colored desert tortoise. They are both 4 years old:

07-26-13c_zps1e1bbff9.jpg

07-26-13a_zps68f2758f.jpg

07-26-13d_zps7be9f2da.jpg

07-26-13b_zps084df83d.jpg

I don't know why my camera now takes blurry pictures. It used to be perfectly fine. I depress the shutter button very lightly and the camera automatically adjusts, then I depress the button to take the picture, but it still comes out blurry.

So what do you all think? Hypomelanistic desert tortoise? Or some other species of tortoise?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I dont know what it is but I think it is very nice looking I have not seen one like it :)

Jd3

5 Year Member
The flash isn't going off and it is too dark. Turn the flash on or go to a auto mode. Or take them outside for better lighting. "Good" lighting inside is not as good as a cloudy day outside...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jd3 said:
The flash isn't going off and it is too dark. Turn the flash on or go to a auto mode. Or take them outside for better lighting. "Good" lighting inside is not as good as a cloudy day outside...

THANK YOU!!! Yes, you are correct. I noticed that the flash didn't go off when I took those pictures. I'm not camera-literate, and just figured it was something automatic...or not. But just now, after reading your post, I pushed all the different buttons on the camera, ended up with "smart capture," but there was no flash button. Anyway, I took a picture of my dog and the flash went off!!

07-26-13Misty_zpsb451d0c5.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The tortoise on the left is a Texas gopher tortoise . I know they are not legal to keep in Texas without a permit . But have no idea if you can keep one in so cal. Without a permit. I just typed in Texas tortoises and a picture that looks like the one you have came up. Hope that helps you out .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, for sure it's NOT a Gopherus berlandieri. They are much smaller than our desert tortoise (and I have some of them too), plus they have a "V" right above the head, while the desert tortoise has a nuchal scute right above the head.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok I tried .

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I'm confused, the one on the left or on the right? The one on the left looks just like every desert tortoise I've ever hatched

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had something similar a few years ago. Danny ID'd them as a TT/CDT cross. Is that a possibility? I can't tell from the pics. The only thing I can confirm for sure is that neither of them are sulcatas. :p

I'm a big help, right?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have been looking on line and the thing that Tom said about it being a cross sounds right . When you look up Texas gopher and mexico tortoises the pictures are close to what you got there. Did she say where in Mexico she got them from ? Was it close to Texas? You got me going now I can't stop lookin on line till I find it .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, where in Mexico is she from, I also wonder. North Central? Chihuahuan Desert? Oh.Mi.Gosh, what if it is a Bolson? The fact that the other died could be telling. I can't wait to know for sure what this little one is! : )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now that I know about the flash on the camera, I'll get better pictures tomorrow. It's too hot out right now.
(Wouldn't it be great if it were a bolson's? But how would we ever know...I guess we'd have to wait to see how big it gets)

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Yvonne G said:
Now that I know about the flash on the camera, I'll get better pictures tomorrow. It's too hot out right now.
(Wouldn't it be great if it were a bolson's? But how would we ever know...I guess we'd have to wait to see how big it gets)

And the suspense builds....just like on episodes of Batman from the 60's.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yvonne,any up date .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Sorry about that.

My tortoise partner, William, is in town this week-end. He's going to take my Manouria babies home with him to San Diego to head start them. So today we went up to the National Forests to see the giant redwood trees. So I'll get some clear shots of that tortoise tomorrow a.m. when it's a bit cooler.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let's see if these are any better. I took them outside in the sun:

07-28-13b_zps1734b32b.jpg

07-28-13a_zpse0cefd64.jpg

07-28-13c_zps851a800e.jpg

Status