Is it safe for my Turtles to go outside now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Have a fully grown male YBS and a juvenile RES. I've got their outdoor area all fixed up finally and was wondering if it'd be safe for them to go outside now. I live in south eastern ga and just don't want the, to freeze should we get another cold day or two.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If there is a chance of cold weather , I wouldn't. The res would have hibernated if he was in the wild and I doubt they would be up this early, unless you live where it is 75-80 by now and stays. I wouldn't take the chance.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, today it was lovely out, but where I live it can be 75 one day and 50 the next.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you could take them out for a couple hours,that would work. But I would bring them in every night. Otherwise, I would wait.

And WELCOME:D I forgot the first time.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Yea, they got to go outside today and absolutely loved it, my YBS, chippy, did not want to come back inside.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i live in central fl, and have kept my boys out all winter-only bringing them in if the temps drop below 60. They are 8 & 9yr old Texas river cooters, possible ybs hybrids, but that is unconfirmed. I don't hibernate them and they do just fine. I just keep a keen watch on the weather forecast. My box turtles have stayed out also, and get a heated corner if the temps are below 60, and are brought inside if it is in the low40s or below. Most of the box turtles brumate on their own for 1-2weeks, except my old lady boxie, Maggie. Maggie's the reason they get the heated corner as she never chooses to brumate. All of the other turtles (mostly 1yr to small babies) only get to go outside when I am home and on weekends, not overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.