Is it safe?

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Is it safe to feed prickly pear cactus with smaller spines to my tortoises? Or should I invest in the spineless as well?

Attachments

• 20210331_134444.jpg
    20210331_134444.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
how big of a tort? you can always burn them off on the stove as well.
Russian tortoise. I thought they would be safe to eat, but I didn't want to risk anything with the spines. I don't plan on feeding it regularly, just as variation in diet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You could scrape some off I suppose if you are worried
I've just bought my first massive opuntia pad which looked spineless but there were some and I think they did make my tort pull his head in pretty quickly with a hiss. I scraped the spines on the next slice and that was eaten with no problem

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You could scrape some off I suppose if you are worried
I've just bought my first massive opuntia pad which looked spineless but there were some and I think they did make my tort pull his head in pretty quickly with a hiss. I scraped the spines on the next slice and that was eaten with no problem
Good idea.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Not every tortoise goes for cactus but I’ve noticed my Russian is more interested in cactus I pick with my bare hands; none of that cleaned up stuff for her! Can’t say I recommend this approach though! :)

Seriously your tortoise has gums of steel; you can tidy it up if you want but it’s perfectly safe not to. Either way, don’t worry if they’re not a fan immediately.