Is my female.... NOT a female?!

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
There is an old saying with tortoises.
If it looks like a male, its a male.
If it looks like a female, it could be a male.

:)

Scott

Bryan

10 Year Member!
skottip said:
There is an old saying with tortoises.
If it looks like a male, its a male.
If it looks like a female, it could be a male.

:)

Scott

Just look for the Adam's apple and you'll get your answer!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Well great. Now he grew a beard overnight, and I found some naughty magazines stashed inside his hide, too. :D

Male it is, I guess. Oh well.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

I am re-naming Allegra to the noble name of 'Oup' - you know, so I can introduce him with "This is my tortoise Oup" and people will understand 'tortoise soup'... ok, I might be a dork for thinking that is funny. But between the admittedly slightly juvenile humor, and the fact that Ooops, he's a male, I think it works.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
biochemnerd808 said:
Well great. Now he grew a beard overnight, and I found some naughty magazines stashed inside his hide, too. :D

I am re-naming Allegra to the noble name of 'Oup' - you know, so I can introduce him with "This is my tortoise Oup" and people will understand 'tortoise soup'... ok, I might be a dork for thinking that is funny. But between the admittedly slightly juvenile humor, and the fact that Ooops, he's a male, I think it works.

I KNEW you were going to name him that that!!!! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I love it. Clever indeed. [TURTLE][TEACUP WITHOUT HANDLE]

How long is "Oup"? I'd like to collar to my Marvin, who's been deemed "male".

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
He is 6.5" long and weighs about 750g (that was 2 weeks ago).

Sulcata_Sandy said:
I KNEW you were going to name him that that!!!!
I love it. Clever indeed.

How long is "Oup"? I'd like to collar to my Marvin, who's been deemed "male".

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
biochemnerd808 said:

LOVE IT!!! :D

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That is not a male. Where is JD...need his input on this. I believe this is female. Not male. JD......where are you!!!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Ok. Let me preface this with the statement that in general, I am quite good at figuring out what sex a tortoise is. Allegra was identified as a female by several very knowledgeable RF keepers. However, today during a soak, our redfoot (6.5 inches SCL, 700+g) flashed something funky out of her tail.

I have been flashed by many a male tortoise, and it never looked like this. I remember hearing of females flashing occasionally.

Here are 2 pics, one of the thing that she flashed, one a few minutes later when everything was back inside. Do we have a boy? Or is she just extra proud of her lady-parts?!

View attachment 62326View attachment 62327

You have a male. And out of curiosity, what "very knowledgable keeper" "accurately" sexed a 6 1/2" red?…..Never heard of being able to accurately sex a red at that size. I myself have sure never been able to…But maybe I'm missing something :)?

I've had several of them change on me over night as well, as it seems they do…..All of mine, either they flashed me, or they layed eggs!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You have a male. And out of curiosity, what "very knowledgable keeper" "accurately" sexed a 6 1/2" red?…..Never heard of being able to accurately sex a red at that size. I myself have sure never been able to…But maybe I'm missing something :)?

I've had several of them change on me over night as well, as it seems they do…..All of mine, either they flashed me, or they layed eggs!
I do it all the time. But typically use the words "it appears" or "leaning towards", that way it's an out. Which it should be worded that way anyways as any animal too young or on the cusp could go either way. I'd definitely say at first it would appear female. But I've had numerous (reds especially) do the exact thing here.