Is my female.... NOT a female?!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ok. Let me preface this with the statement that in general, I am quite good at figuring out what sex a tortoise is. Allegra was identified as a female by several very knowledgeable RF keepers. However, today during a soak, our redfoot (6.5 inches SCL, 700+g) flashed something funky out of her tail.

I have been flashed by many a male tortoise, and it never looked like this. I remember hearing of females flashing occasionally.

Here are 2 pics, one of the thing that she flashed, one a few minutes later when everything was back inside. Do we have a boy? Or is she just extra proud of her lady-parts?!

smallDSC_4476.JPGsmallDSC_4478.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm no pro but it looks like a penis to me . But I'm on a cellphone so the picture is small.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
biochemnerd808 said:
Ok. Let me preface this with the statement that in general, I am quite good at figuring out what sex a tortoise is. Allegra was identified as a female by several very knowledgeable RF keepers. However, today during a soak, our redfoot (6.5 inches SCL, 700+g) flashed something funky out of her tail.

I have been flashed by many a male tortoise, and it never looked like this. I remember hearing of females flashing occasionally.

Here are 2 pics, one of the thing that she flashed, one a few minutes later when everything was back inside. Do we have a boy? Or is she just extra proud of her lady-parts?!

Katie, as we well know I am NO RF expert, but since I have two of questionable "orientation", I've done a gloriously nerdy amount of research on sexing these guys. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Seems along with tail size, is PLACEMENT of the vet, and males have their vents very caudal..well past the carapace as this one appears if tail completely outstretched. Females have vents much more cranial. Again, definitely amateur access net, but I vote male. :)

I've also read and spoken to several long time RF breeders who say one day they have a girl, then overnight almost it's a male! Hahaha. I guess the stubby tail with seemingly grow overnight. I am so in love with this species. Amazing creatures. So much to learn about them.

Anyone agree with my above data? I love discussions like this. I hope we get some good input. Great pix.

And that sure looks like a male "flower" poking out to me! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. I've seen prolapses, that does not look like one.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Based on 6.5" SCL.. the configuration of the anal scutes and being 'northern'.. he is definately a male.

For 15 years now I've watched Northern "female" redfoots grow up for the first 6 ++" SCL.. and then in one season become a male - the anal scutes widen and the plastron grows convex....... and then the tail, etc. grows. I've never seen a female.. what is known as "flash"!

Northerns are much easier than Brazilians.. they don't go by any 'rules!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hang on... I'll find the pics!

Young adult male Brazilian [ aka cherryhead ] -

.. all that "marbling" .. note concave plastron and all that male tail - [ got real lucky on this pic ]

Again he his young adult!

Looking for other pics.. as young as hatchling!

Very young [ couple months? ] Brazilian..

It's possible to determine a Brazilian almost out of the egg.

The old saying.. "It's terribly simple when you know.. simply terrible when you don't!" :rolleyes:

I found it....!

4" SCL or so.. guess which one is the Brazilian?

Ignore anal scutes or tail.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Its either a male or a female with a penis...
lol
I live in S Florida so it isn't uncommon. :p

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Is my female.... NOT a female?!

skottip said:
Its either a male or a female with a penis...
lol
I live in S Florida so it isn't uncommon. :p

:D:D:D:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Katie I'd like to vote the female with a penis way, but I do think it's a male.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I think you have girl that turned into a boy. Definitely a common occur acne since it is so hard yo accurately sex them when they are under 8". Even then it seems like they can change overnight.

Allegra

PS
Love the name!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
allegraf said:
PS
Love the name!

I had a chuckle over it the first time I saw what it was, too. Guess now he becomes Allegro.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
allegraf said:
I think you have girl that turned into a boy. Definitely a common occur acne since it is so hard yo accurately sex them when they are under 8". Even then it seems like they can change overnight.

Allegra

PS
Love the name!

So who performed the gender reassignment surgery in the middle of the night? ;)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
allegraf said:
I think it happens in a manner similar to how fairies are born...randomly!

I see! So just like we have the Tooth Fairy we have the Carbonaria Gender Reassignment Fairy? :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Bryan said:
I see! So just like we have the Tooth Fairy we have the Carbonaria Gender Reassignment Fairy? :D

Exactly! :D Wonder if we could pay them enough to have them assigned the gender we want?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
Bryan said:

Exactly! :D Wonder if we could pay them enough to have them assigned the gender we want?

Good question, I have a couple of torts that I'd LOVE to have them gender assigned female. So do we find where the Carbonaria Gender Reassignment Fairy lives and slip a few bucks under its pillow or something? :shy: