Is my sulcata baby okay?

cipherdale

Location (City and/or State)
Bandung
Hello everyone :)

Im just wondering if my baby okay or not.
Currently i use open top enclosure.
All day temp 29C - 32C(daylight) and night time range between 29C - 30C
Basking spot surface 33C - 35C
Soaking 1 hour per day below sunlight with shade of course
Feeding below sunlight too

Humid 60-70 daylight, 70-80 night
Substrate is reptibark which is made from fir bark

It’s has been 5 weeks since i received this baby from the breeder.
Hands on 49grams
Now 67grams

I hope there is no sign of pyramid, is the weight gain consider normal?

Baby doesnt want to use the hide because i believe is cold since the cave temp can be as low as 27C at night. But outside the hide the night temp is 29C - 30C

Closed chamber is coming soon, and thanks to @Tom for some tips for closed chamber that in the process now

Here some of pictures of my baby

Attachments

• IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5622.jpeg
    IMG_5622.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks pretty good. You do have some deep notches forming between the scutes and that is the start of pyramiding. I'm sure it is because of the open top and low humidity. You will be solving that problem soon with your closed camber.

Spot bulbs and MVBs can also cause this problem, so be sure you have a regular incandescent flood bulb for basking, like the ones from Arcadia, and not an "intense spot bulb".

cipherdale

Bandung
He looks pretty good. You do have some deep notches forming between the scutes and that is the start of pyramiding. I'm sure it is because of the open top and low humidity. You will be solving that problem soon with your closed camber.

Spot bulbs and MVBs can also cause this problem, so be sure you have a regular incandescent flood bulb for basking, like the ones from Arcadia, and not an "intense spot bulb".
The notches sadly comes from the beginning :(, by the way thanks Tom for the tips.
In my country there is no arcadia brand, only from zoomed and exoterra, could you please suggest me which the right bulb from them?
I never use more than 25watt for all my heating and bulb since the ambient can reach up to 35C if i use more than 25watt bulb or che
For basking spot i use 25watt exoterra intense basking spot currently, could you suggest the right bulb might be from phillips brand if you dont mind

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The notches sadly comes from the beginning :(, by the way thanks Tom for the tips.
In my country there is no arcadia brand, only from zoomed and exoterra, could you please suggest me which the right bulb from them?
I never use more than 25watt for all my heating and bulb since the ambient can reach up to 35C if i use more than 25watt bulb or che
For basking spot i use 25watt exoterra intense basking spot currently, could you suggest the right bulb might be from phillips brand if you dont mind
I couldn't find any incandescent flood bulbs under the exoterra or zooMed.
Can you get Amazon? They should have some 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs. They don't have to be labeled for tortoises or reptiles.
Also if incandescent bulbs have not been banned where you are, you can get a regular lamp style incandescent bulb, a 60 or 100 watt that should work.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Exoterra makes two suitable lamps (get the right wattage):
1. Daylight Heat Lamp - https://exo-terra.com/products/lighting/heat-lamps/daytime-heat-lamp-60w/ (better to use it with a wide reflector dome).
2. Daylight Basking Spot - https://exo-terra.com/products/lighting/basking-spots/daylight-basking-spot-50w/ (despite the name it's a R20/R30 lamp with beam angle 65 degrees, so technically it's a flood lamp and can be used without a dome).

Philips makes incandescent lamps - classic and flood reflector bulbs, including special lamps like traffic lights lamps. If you can order them - they will work just fine. Make sure they are incandescent and not LED (you can post link or screenshot here, before ordering).

cipherdale

Bandung
I couldn't find any incandescent flood bulbs under the exoterra or zooMed.
Can you get Amazon? They should have some 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs. They don't have to be labeled for tortoises or reptiles.
Also if incandescent bulbs have not been banned where you are, you can get a regular lamp style incandescent bulb, a 60 or 100 watt that should work.
Order from Amazon would be expensive here mate, but thanks for the suggestion, i will try to find incandescent bulbs, yeap is not banned here

cipherdale

Bandung
Exoterra makes two suitable lamps (get the right wattage):
1. Daylight Heat Lamp - https://exo-terra.com/products/lighting/heat-lamps/daytime-heat-lamp-60w/ (better to use it with a wide reflector dome).
2. Daylight Basking Spot - https://exo-terra.com/products/lighting/basking-spots/daylight-basking-spot-50w/ (despite the name it's a R20/R30 lamp with beam angle 65 degrees, so technically it's a flood lamp and can be used without a dome).

Philips makes incandescent lamps - classic and flood reflector bulbs, including special lamps like traffic lights lamps. If you can order them - they will work just fine. Make sure they are incandescent and not LED (you can post link or screenshot here, before ordering).
I might be try daylight basking spot or incandescent if i can find it mate, thanks for the suggestion

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I might be try daylight basking spot or incandescent if i can find it mate, thanks for the suggestion
Both lamps are incandescent. And Intense Basking Spot that you have now - too. It just makes very narrow heat/light beam and instead of slowly heating the whole tortoise, heats only part of the shell. Poor creature stays basking because it wants to warm up the whole body, but can't. You may try to place it higher (basking area diameter will be roughly the half of the installation height for this lamp) if you won't be able to get wide beam lamps. You should aim to make a basking area 3-4 times larger than tortoise shell length.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Order from Amazon would be expensive here mate, but thanks for the suggestion, i will try to find incandescent bulbs, yeap is not banned here
A regular round type incandescent bulb used in an aluminum hood can work too, if you can't find "flood" bulbs made by Phillips, Sylvania, or GE. I use 25 watt round bulbs in summer here.