Is my sulcata tortoise pyramiding and is his color okay?

Courtney Humphries

So I've been reading all kinds of forums on here and now I'm paranoid about my baby Tron. Is my sulcata tortoise pyramiding and is his color okay? I'm soaking him a lot more now because someone pointed out that he seemed a little dry. Also, I mist his enclosure more than 5 times a day to keep it humid.

Attachments

• IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5699.JPG
    IMG_5699.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 79

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
He looks nice.
He also looks like some grass stained his face.
Read our sulcata care sheets and ask specific questions for our many, many Sulcata owners .

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Courtney Humphries

Thank you and yes. I've been worried because I posted pictures on him on another social media network, Instagram, and some lady is telling me that he looks like he's starting to pyramid and I haven't had him long at all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Read up. There are a few ways that you can get your humidity up and keep it up without spraying much if at all.
Search "closed chamber" enclosures.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It looks like new growth to me too, but no point in taking chances.
As Ed said above, a closed chamber is the way to go, even if you just use tinfoil to begin.

Courtney Humphries

The tinfoil method, I have my lamps clamped because I move from my apartment on campus back to my parents house every week. My parents tell me to take Tron with me because he is my pet and the whole spill on that. I do not have like a fancy enclosure. I have what the guy gave me when I got Tron. I could post a picture if you'd like.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The tinfoil method, I have my lamps clamped because I move from my apartment on campus back to my parents house every week. My parents tell me to take Tron with me because he is my pet and the whole spill on that. I do not have like a fancy enclosure. I have what the guy gave me when I got Tron. I could post a picture if you'd like.
Yes, please.
Then the peeps here could help you tweak it a bit, perhaps, if it needs it.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
In my humble opinion there is a very little bit of pyramiding started. that's my opinion though. just in case I would find a way to cover your tortoise home. if you have the lid to that container that you can make cutouts for the lights it would hold some humidity in. be cautious though because that would also raise the temperature.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I think your tort looks fine, no pyramiding. But if you live in a DRY climate, then take care. Personally, I live in Jordan (in the Middle East) where the climate is EXTREMELY DRY, Summer and Winter alike. Therefore, pyramiding is worrying me a lot.

I'd rather an enclosure that is NOT TRANSPARENT: torts don't understand this and keep trying to get out.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you and yes. I've been worried because I posted pictures on him on another social media network, Instagram, and some lady is telling me that he looks like he's starting to pyramid and I haven't had him long at all.
The pyramiding could have started before you got him. The breeder could have kept him dry and provided limited or no soakings while in his care. The habitat that you have shown is certain to produce pyramiding. Also, the enclosure is much too small to house a sulcata baby. Please read the following threads and apply the information to your particular situation.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/

Courtney Humphries

A very warm welcome to the forum.

I think your tort looks fine, no pyramiding. But if you live in a DRY climate, then take care. Personally, I live in Jordan (in the Middle East) where the climate is EXTREMELY DRY, Summer and Winter alike. Therefore, pyramiding is worrying me a lot.

I'd rather an enclosure that is NOT TRANSPARENT: torts don't understand this and keep trying to get out.

Yeah I live in Alabama but it's not dry here. It's always humid here.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Yeah I live in Alabama but it's not dry here. It's always humid here.
It is very humid in Alabama, and throughout most of the South and Southeast. In an small enclosure, and under heat lamps, the humidity will be much, much lower. We have found that the humidity at the tortoise's shell when under a heat lamp (where it really matters) can be lower that 20% even when the ambient humidity is as high as 80%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do have pyramiding starting. The current growth area is displaying a deep notch. This is the first step in the pyramiding process.

1. You need a larger enclosure. A closed chamber would be best.
2. You need a humid hide.
3. You need a larger, better water bowl. Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
4. You need to get lamps stands, or make some way to suspend those lamp from over head. Those clamps always fail and the results can be catastrophic. Houses burn down when those clamps fail sometimes.
5. You need to get ceramic based light fixtures. Those plastic bakelite types are not suitable for the way we use them. Again, they tend to short out and it can cause a fire.
6. Are you using a coil bulb there? Those can burn tortoise eyes and should not be used. Use a long tube type or use a mercury vapor bulb as your primary, if you need indoor UV.
7. Where is the night heat? Baby sulcatas need it warm at night too. I recommend a CHE set on a thermostat.

All of this and more is linked in the care sheets that Joe posted for you.