Is my tortoise a male or a female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercspegs

5 Year Member
I have a one and a half year old Russian tortoise. I was told he was a he, but I just wanted to confirm it.

Here's a pic of Hercules. Please let me know if I need to take more/better pictures.

Attachments

• IMG02182-20121129-1242.jpg
    IMG02182-20121129-1242.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 96

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
you need the underside and tail pic for a concrete answer,

BUT based on this top view and seeing the tip of its short tail im inclined to guess female. my friend has a male and his tail is very long and curls to the side. you can not see his tale from the top view...

pineapple

5 Year Member
I have a tort the same age. I was told they all look female for at least the first 3+ years when I posted pics asking the same question. Looks like we just may not know for a while. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You can usually tell once a tort is about 4.5" long - it's more their size than their age that determines whether you can tell their sex. Especially if the tort was bought from a pet store, the age estimate is often not accurate (they like to claim the tort is 1-2 years old, when usually they are probably closer to 5-10 years). How big is your tortoise?
And yes, I agree, you'll need to post a pic of the tail seen from below. Males have a longer tail, with the vent being a slit at the end of the tail. Females have more of a short fat tail, and the vent is shaped like a pucker or an asterisk (*).

pineapple said:
I have a tort the same age. I was told they all look female for at least the first 3+ years when I posted pics asking the same question. Looks like we just may not know for a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.