Is my tortoise bored, need enrichment?

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I don't think apples are advised at all.
(For the species)
Maybe someone can suggest a treat better suited to a Sulcata.

Well, I can guarantee that they can smell them from hundreds of yards away. Stump went there on purpose and I have video proof of why he HAD to cross the road that afternoon.

Things in the date/plum family are native to their parts of Africa and many, many types of berries in season. Matoke / Banana is good too and they run across them and smell them in their native range for sure. This is why he took a swipe at my fig newton one day and loved it so much that he shakes me down for them when I get to his level. He thought our hatchling was a fig newton which is why he is named Figgy.

I'm about to do a video of dispelling many, many myths (including many here) like sugar is not good for Sulcatas, etc. when farmers control sugar to horses by controlling the times of day that they graze. Sulcatas eat grass 80% with a correct diet. ALL grass has sugar and at varying times of the day, the sugar content changes depending on photosynthesis. This stored sugar is WHY grass grows overnight with no light. It STORES sugar. Why do sulcatas want to wake up late and graze in the afternoon? sugar. First thing in the morning there is the least sugar in the grass. What is sugar cane? Grass. So Sulcatas can't process sugar? Utter nonsense. Why do we soak grass and use the water to make the sugar content for alcohol? Right.

Farmers soak hay from 15 minutes to 30 minutes or so and drain the water to REMOVE sugar before feeding to horses with insulin issues.

And they shouldn't be in sand like it's poison... utter BS nonsense when there are hundreds of photos of them in the wild fully surrounded by rocky and sandy environments. I've lived a little south from their home range in Liberia west Africa and I can tell you with absolute certainty - first hand experience - that the sand is in between all of the grass clumps but is even smaller and powdery than the small sand like in Florida. But... still sand and they for sure ingest it because is coats everything that touches it like fried chicken.

Last edited:

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI
Have you ever let out of the house with snow on the ground? I have a large sulcata that I've raised from a hatchling that seems to enjoy the snow. We haven't gotten much snow in the past several years but we had a dusting earlier this month and he was real active in the little bit we got. We have had large amounts of snow in the past that I cleared paths with a snow shovel for him to get around. Sometimes he stayed in the pathway and sometimes he didn't. Sulcatas notice changes in their environment and will check out anything different. I've always thought that they don't like change but not sure about that but it does cause different activities for a short time. About the balls that Ed suggested yes they will move them around but if they are the right size for him to mount he may use it as a sex object. Walker my old guy got so absessed with them I removed them. I was using bowling balls both 10 pin and duck pin.
Thanks so much for your reply. Bowling Balls! Wow! Mordy just likes dozing into my partners projects. Knocking over ladders, sawhorses, tables, etc. He's always gotta be a part of!

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI
Mine really gets happy when I visit him twice a day. I don’t have a cam as I may rely too much on it. Don’t forget to let him see you❤️. Hiding small snax is a good idea as their sense of smell is strong. I don’t feed too much during cold temps; no movin’ no foodin’ is our way. He has to come look for it💥 Good luck!
I like it! Makes sense! Thank You!

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI

Well, I can guarantee that they can smell them from hundreds of yards away. Stump went there on purpose and I have video proof of why he HAD to cross the road that afternoon.

Things in the date/plum family are native to their parts of Africa and many, many types of berries in season. Matoke / Banana is good too and they run across them and smell them in their native range for sure. This is why he took a swipe at my fig newton one day and loved it so much that he shakes me down for them when I get to his level. He thought our hatchling was a fig newton which is why he is named Figgy.

I'm about to do a video of dispelling many, many myths (including many here) like sugar is not good for Sulcatas, etc. when farmers control sugar to horses by controlling the times of day that they graze. Sulcatas eat grass 80% with a correct diet. ALL grass has sugar and at varying times of the day, the sugar content changes depending on photosynthesis. This stored sugar is WHY grass grows overnight with no light. It STORES sugar. Why do sulcatas want to wake up late and graze in the afternoon? sugar. First thing in the morning there is the least sugar in the grass. What is sugar cane? Grass. So Sulcatas can't process sugar? Utter nonsense. Why do we soak grass and use the water to make the sugar content for alcohol? Right.

Farmers soak hay from 15 minutes to 30 minutes or so and drain the water to REMOVE sugar before feeding to horses with insulin issues.

And they shouldn't be in sand like it's poison... utter BS nonsense when there are hundreds of photos of them in the wild fully surrounded by rocky and sandy environments. I've lived a little south from their home range in Liberia west Africa and I can tell you with absolute certainty - first hand experience - that the sand is in between all of the grass clumps but is even smaller and powdery than the small sand like in Florida. But... still sand and they for sure ingest it because is coats everything that touches it like fried chicken.
I totally give him bananas & dates. Thanks! Only thought they couldn't eat the core, but the rest of the apple was ok. There are a ton of conflicting Sulcata "facts" that have been swayed by over the past 24 years. I just emailed Dr. Spelman, Mordy's doc. to ask her about the apples. She has consistently offered solid scientific evidence on all Mordy things and he thrives with her advice time and time again. I Love the shake down comment BTW. Hilarious. Thanks for your reply. I saved it for future.

Robin

Merlinthepug

Warwick, RI
Mary Knobbins is only 45 lbs now...I spend a lot of time with her and spring and summer she plays with a 15" Goodyear tire...My tort shedView attachment 365768
She pushes and rams this tire, then gets stuck in it. so she walks around like this
View attachment 365769
she has grown so big I had to get her a 17 inch tire...View attachment 365770I have never seen her play with the new tire...
OMG! Tires! I love it! Love her house too. Thanks for posting all that!

ryan57

PA
I totally give him bananas & dates. Thanks! Only thought they couldn't eat the core, but the rest of the apple was ok. There are a ton of conflicting Sulcata "facts" that have been swayed by over the past 24 years. I just emailed Dr. Spelman, Mordy's doc. to ask her about the apples. She has consistently offered solid scientific evidence on all Mordy things and he thrives with her advice time and time again. I Love the shake down comment BTW. Hilarious. Thanks for your reply. I saved it for future.

Robin
Let us know what the doc says.