Is my tortoise dead?

stardustytort

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I know he could have lived a long time, I always looked forward to living my life out with him. I did a lot of searching but without knowing the name of what happened to him, I couldn’t find anything. I looked up various ways of “redness under shell” and couldn’t see anything that looked like him. I searched this forum and made a membership too but couldn’t figure out how to write a post until I found that I could download it on my phone. By that time it was obviously too late anyway. I did look for help..all over...nothing really helped me.
I’ve trimmed his beak before too and would try to get it shorter I but could never get a good grip on it, he didn’t let me. I didn’t want to stress him out or something by forcing it. A rock would’ve been a good idea. His mouth opened wide enough to eat though, I made sure of that. Same with his claws, I didn’t want to hit the nerves by trimming myself. I let him roam freely a lot in the house but he didn’t move far, since the day I got him he wasn’t very active. I just thought he was grumpy...
I hope he’s feeling healthy and free up there too and that someday I will be able to forgive myself for this. I can’t believe how oblivious I was and it’s really been eating away at me that I let this happen [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

I completely understand, and I'm sorry that you're getting all this hate for it, I can tell you're heartbroken over it. Mistakes happen and unfortunately someone was at the receiving end of it, but I'm so glad that you understand the mistakes you made and feel remorse. I can also see the hesitation of cutting his claws/trimming the beak without any experience. In the future I hope that more attention is paid to the creature, of course you know this. Also, if they're is some sort of exotic pet veterinarian, doesn't have to specifically be for reptiles, I would go there if you get another tortoise just so they can give you some information on it directly from a credible source. This website is great, but it can leave you confused and overwhelmed with information. I wish the best of luck to you and hope that things go okay from now on.

Also as a reply to everyone else: this post should be kept up because it's a valuable source of information for sepsis in a tortoise, signs of a passed tortoise, and also to show how to better care for a tortoise. Yes the pictures are a bit graphic, but like the author of the post said, they could not find any information of 'redness under the shell' and the like, so this can help in the future and warn new pet owners of the dangers of sepsis and such.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I completely understand, and I'm sorry that you're getting all this hate for it, I can tell you're heartbroken over it. Mistakes happen and unfortunately someone was at the receiving end of it, but I'm so glad that you understand the mistakes you made and feel remorse. I can also see the hesitation of cutting his claws/trimming the beak without any experience. In the future I hope that more attention is paid to the creature, of course you know this. Also, if they're is some sort of exotic pet veterinarian, doesn't have to specifically be for reptiles, I would go there if you get another tortoise just so they can give you some information on it directly from a credible source. This website is great, but it can leave you confused and overwhelmed with information. I wish the best of luck to you and hope that things go okay from now on.

Also as a reply to everyone else: this post should be kept up because it's a valuable source of information for sepsis in a tortoise, signs of a passed tortoise, and also to show how to better care for a tortoise. Yes the pictures are a bit graphic, but like the author of the post said, they could not find any information of 'redness under the shell' and the like, so this can help in the future and warn new pet owners of the dangers of sepsis and such.

I agree. This is a learning opportunity for everyone.
And again, I am so, so sorry for your loss :(

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I am terribly sorry for your loss, if you didn’t care you wouldn’t have taken the photos and asked for help. There’s not one person on this forum who can say there is nothing else they can learn about these animals or about anything in general and if you don’t ask how will you ever learn? The tortoise was in poor condition but you still reached out for help because you cared enough to do so, there are thousands of individuals who would not have done what you did. I’m sorry again for your loss, live and learn. This will help several people in the future.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Good! I hope you will be able to save a torts life someday now that you have the knowledge. I know I will try to!

Usually by the time you see pink blotches on the plastron the sepsis has gone too far to save the tort with the average herp vets and their average tort. medicine experience/knowledge. The key is to PREVENT them from getting to that point. That is why it is so important for all the prospective tort owners to get on this Forum and study the care sheets appropriate for their species as so many experts agree that this is one of the best if not THE BEST sources of reliable information. Study your species and conditions you need to create for them to keep them healthy. See, if that’s even something you want or can do. I made this same mistake so many new keepers make, got the baby torts with not knowing nearly enough about them and their care, then ran scrambling around trying to fix all the mistakes I had made preparing for my babies arrival. Had to redo their whole enclosure, rethink their diet. It helps that I am a mature adult and a healthcare professional, trained throughout my entire carrier in taking proactive steps in order to prevent bigger issues later. I believe that this has helped me keep my babies safe and healthy all this time. But I had spent their first 2 years with my nose in this Forum several times a day. Every day! Asking questions, reading, posting pictures, running ideas by people who know. It WORKS! It really does! Anyone who wants to be a good tort keeper can be one, just be willing to invest some time to research and network with people of common interest, make friends here and they will get you through the tough times. Please spread the word of this Forum.

Clementine's Keeper

Houston, Texas
What a sad post. As a new owner myself I can sympathize with all the confusing information and worry about not knowing what's normal and what's not. I did lots of research before getting Clementine but was still surprised how much I didn't know about her once she arrived. Keeping her healthy is a bit stressful at times because I care so much about her. I feel so sad for this owner and empathize totally. This post is distressing to read but for the most part the replies are constructive and educational for all.

jburrow

Phoenix, AZ 85044
My female Russian does not hibernate. I let her outside in the backyard everyday because she is so darn hyper she needs to run around. If she ever wasn't feisty and hyper, I would know something was wrong right away. I feel like people get tortoises because they feel they are easy to care for and you can just put them in a tank (or throw them in the backyard) and feed them every few days...BUT THEY ARE NOT!
I am sorry for your loss, but the basic knowledge about the breed of a Russian Tort and their behavior should have alerted you there was a problem from the start. Just remember a pet tort is an animal baby and all animals need to go to the vet no matter the cost and mileage. We take all 9 of our different breeds of torts to the vet at least once a year before hibernation season starts to make sure they are healthy. Call around to exotic animal hospitals, most have a clinic day at a discount for torts around this time of year.

Adixon5

New York
My female Russian does not hibernate. I let her outside in the backyard everyday because she is so darn hyper she needs to run around. If she ever wasn't feisty and hyper, I would know something was wrong right away. I feel like people get tortoises because they feel they are easy to care for and you can just put them in a tank (or throw them in the backyard) and feed them every few days...BUT THEY ARE NOT!
I am sorry for your loss, but the basic knowledge about the breed of a Russian Tort and their behavior should have alerted you there was a problem from the start. Just remember a pet tort is an animal baby and all animals need to go to the vet no matter the cost and mileage. We take all 9 of our different breeds of torts to the vet at least once a year before hibernation season starts to make sure they are healthy. Call around to exotic animal hospitals, most have a clinic day at a discount for torts around this time of year.

Thanks for the advise, I understand now that they can be complex. I brought mine outside as much as I could too but we have too much snow/cold weather for me to have really kept him active outside. Your torts are lucky to have you!

Pjfarm

Nh usa
My heart goes out to you. I have been only in this forum for only a short while and you were far more brave than I posting and including the photos.

As an inexperienced Tort person, I truly appreciate the information provided by more experienced members. I am so sad for some of the harshness of some comments to your thread. It makes me afraid to post and show my own potential inadequacies. I have toyed with the idea of leaving the forum for this reason. While it is a good learning resource, many members are inconsiderate of the feelings of others. While I can somewhat understand a lack of support for you (given that the situation may have been avoided) regarding the demise of your tort, I regret if doing the post only added to your pain and grief. I fear more are turned away from this important resource than attracted to it due to the incivility.

Adixon5

New York
My heart goes out to you. I have been only in this forum for only a short while and you were far more brave than I posting and including the photos.

As an inexperienced Tort person, I truly appreciate the information provided by more experienced members. I am so sad for some of the harshness of some comments to your thread. It makes me afraid to post and show my own potential inadequacies. I have toyed with the idea of leaving the forum for this reason. While it is a good learning resource, many members are inconsiderate of the feelings of others. While I can somewhat understand a lack of support for you (given that the situation may have been avoided) regarding the demise of your tort, I regret if doing the post only added to your pain and grief. I fear more are turned away from this important resource than attracted to it due to the incivility.

Some of the comments did make it more difficult on me but there were plenty of others that seemed to have my back. It’s the internet, not everyone is going to be nice. It happens everywhere, not just this forum! This was a learning experience for me though. Many commenters helped me a lot even if some of their words were harsh. I gained knowledge through this unfortunate event and now feel that I am able to help others that reach out for help too.
I know it can be hard to get hate from people but don’t let that be the reason you leave or avoid reaching out. I mean, wouldn’t you rather take the negativity than lose your tortoise or but it through pin and suffering? I know I would’ve!
There is so much to learn from the people on this site. I didn’t join until my tort died but had I joined years ago, this probably never would have happened because I would’ve known how to properly care for him. Disregard the negative comments. In the end everyone on here is just looking to help each other!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Some of the comments did make it more difficult on me but there were plenty of others that seemed to have my back. It’s the internet, not everyone is going to be nice. It happens everywhere, not just this forum! This was a learning experience for me though. Many commenters helped me a lot even if some of their words were harsh. I gained knowledge through this unfortunate event and now feel that I am able to help others that reach out for help too.
I know it can be hard to get hate from people but don’t let that be the reason you leave or avoid reaching out. I mean, wouldn’t you rather take the negativity than lose your tortoise or but it through pin and suffering? I know I would’ve!
There is so much to learn from the people on this site. I didn’t join until my tort died but had I joined years ago, this probably never would have happened because I would’ve known how to properly care for him. Disregard the negative comments. In the end everyone on here is just looking to help each other!
That was beautifully put.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Eloquent[emoji106]

Unnati sawant

Ahmedabad
I underunder how u muat be feeling. This has also happened with me. I bought male and female tortoise.where in the male one died the next day.

Nancy Coffelt

Hi, I for one am glad of the picttures and the information on

I for one am greatful for the pictures and the important information about sepsis. Good luck on your next try at raising another tortoise sometime in the future. Just remember that there is always information on so very many sites on raising and caring for these incredible animals.