Is my tortoise pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloola

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi,

I've had my little fella for 3 months now. Meldrew looks exactly the same as when we got him, but I posted a picture of him on a tortoise page on facebook and someone made a comment saying he is pyramiding. Now I'm all worried about him. I will be taking him to the vet to get him checked roperly but it's on my mind so I thought I'd ask on here. You all seem to know what you're talking about! Out of the 2 pictures I've posted I'd say the size of his bumps are in reality somewhere in the middle.

x451rd.jpg

97v807.jpg

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
He looks like he has almost exactly the same amount of pyramiding as my Hermann's, Emrys:

307634_10150379550665746_505660745_9857953_37013582_n.jpg

They're certainly not completely smooth, but as I'm sure you know the pictures really over emphasise it! :p

It's not a dangerous amount of pyramiding by any means, as long as it doesn't continue long-term. I find it looks quite nice physically at the current level, but of course I wouldn't want it to carry on.

I'm actually quite interested. Where did you get Meldrew from? He looks a lot like Emrys, and you've had him for the same amount of time!

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I got him from the tortoise centre in Essex. I think Meldrew looks gorgeous so so long as he's not unhealthy I'm more than happy. This bloke who made the comment said he was going to die. As you can imagine that terrified me. I might not of had him long but I adore him!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Melloola said:
I got him from the tortoise centre in Essex. I think Meldrew looks gorgeous so so long as he's not unhealthy I'm more than happy. This bloke who made the comment said he was going to die. As you can imagine that terrified me. I might not of had him long but I adore him!

Ah, cool. :) He travelled quite a way to get to you, then.

Don't worry, he's not going to die. Just do your best to stop it happening any more, and he'll continue to be a happy, healthy tortoise. :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Cheryl, pictures will make it look worse than it really is sometime.... He looks pretty good...

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
But to answer your question, he is pyramiding.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
yes your tortoise is pyramding but no he is not going to die. Your tortoise needs more hydration.
High humidity levels for one and daily soaking and a humid hide. A 24/7 water source in his cage that he can drink out of and soak himself in
Humidity is essential in keeping your young tortoise from pyramiding and keeping their healthy

HermanniChris knows a lot about your tortoise and can help you with any questions you have cause I am not sure about how much humidity and such this species of tortroise needs but he will
I bought my Greeks from him and he is awesome.
Very fast to reply too which is great
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/User-HermanniChris#axzz1iFFMXsDZ
Thats a link to his user profile where you can send him an email or PM if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.