Pyramiding?

Savhyuga

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hello, I'm new to this site and have made a previous post about my torts environment. As I've done some more research I've come across pyramiding. I just got my tortoise and im assuming the previous owner did not know much about how to care for him, and did not try to do any research over 4 years, thus his shell is pyramiding. I'm a little worried and am not sure the long term effects this has. I want to know how to to prevent him from pyramiding any further, and also what exactly causes this to happen? I'm very dedicated to making this lil guys life better

Attachments

• 20201021_135556.jpg
    20201021_135556.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.... take a look under the REDFOOT section and there are a few care sheets.... This bit discusses pyramiding.

Redfoot tortoises require temperatures around 80-86 degrees at all times, day and night. There should be no basking spot, as it makes pyramiding very likely to occur, and temperatures being too hot or lights being too bright can be greatly stressful for them.​
Never let the temperature in the coolest part of the enclosure fall below 80. That will make the redfoot susceptible to respiratory infections, and can make them less active and not want to eat.​

Humidity is very important for redfoots, and it needs to be 80-100%(preferably 90+%) at all times. Lack of humidity leads to pyramiding.​

Savhyuga

Edmonton
Greetings.... take a look under the REDFOOT section and there are a few care sheets.... This bit discusses pyramiding.

Redfoot tortoises require temperatures around 80-86 degrees at all times, day and night. There should be no basking spot, as it makes pyramiding very likely to occur, and temperatures being too hot or lights being too bright can be greatly stressful for them.​
Never let the temperature in the coolest part of the enclosure fall below 80. That will make the redfoot susceptible to respiratory infections, and can make them less active and not want to eat.​

Humidity is very important for redfoots, and it needs to be 80-100%(preferably 90+%) at all times. Lack of humidity leads to pyramiding.​
Hmmm so its the humidity...thank you!

Savhyuga

Edmonton
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.
Ohh okay I think we have that problem
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.
Oh ok! We got him a little humidifier which keeps the substrate pretty moist and halts the humidity at around 80% throughout the day so I hope that helps him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ohh okay I think we have that problem

Oh ok! We got him a little humidifier which keeps the substrate pretty moist and halts the humidity at around 80% throughout the day so I hope that helps him
I wouldn't use a humidifier. I don't like tortoises breathing water vapor. What you need is high humidity, not water vapor that escapes out of the open top. Get a large closed chamber and you'll never have trouble with humidity again.

Also, don't have basking lamps that will dry your red foot's shell out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wouldn't use a humidifier. I don't like tortoises breathing water vapor. What you need is high humidity, not water vapor that escapes out of the open top. Get a large closed chamber and you'll never have trouble with humidity again.

Also, don't have basking lamps that will dry your red foot's shell out.
I agree.
You greatly increase the risk of a respiratory infection.
A closed top enclosure is called a "closed chamber" enclosure.
It's the way to go.