Is my tortoise sick???

Mammyjuls

Hi I got a leopard tortise a few days ago .
and I think he might be ill
and i think he was ill when I got him .I got him home and noticed he had a runny nose and that it keeps getting bubbles then popping .
I put him in his enclouse and he has never moved and is just asleep always .
He seams very weak and very sleepy all the time .
He is not eating or drinking
He has never had a poo.
How often do they have a poo?
He has also last nigh with is two days layer still the same but now he also has a wheezing noise
And keeps stretching his neck then opening his mouth like he is gasping .
I am going to call the shop and speak to them about it as I think they have sold me a sick tortoise ??

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, welcome to the forum. if you can post up pics of your tort and enclosure as well as your temps it'll help people advise and detect any problems.

Mammyjuls

FfA1nY.jpg

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im just guessin that perhaps he has Ri, if possible could you get a close up of his 'nose' ? they do take a while to settle into new homes so he will be shy for a while, pehaps a soak will help him poo. have you read the care sheet yet?

the dial type thermometers have a reputation for failing, a lot of members use heat guns. i'd post up a pic of lights as well. sorry i cant be of more help but an expert will be along to help you out :)

Mammyjuls

U phoned the shop were I got him and they have told me to take hum back
And they said they will give me my money back and they are going to take him to vets and get him healthy

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
U phoned the shop were I got him and they have told me to take hum back
And they said they will give me my money back and they are going to take him to vets and get him healthy

might be a bit drastic, i'd hold off untill an expert can help you! could be as simple as your tort just needing to 'settle in' ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some times you can bump up the temperature and that will fix him up . If they are going to take him to a vet let them . They sold you a sick animal .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Definitely sounds pretty sick. Vet is appropriate. He will need antibiotics and really warm temps for a bit. Hope they will take good care of him.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
If they sold you a sick tortoise and gave you all that incorrect info regarding its care I highly doubt they will take the time or spend the money to get it treatment. I wish you had just taken it to the vet yourself and given it some more time to adjust. Increasing your temps like you did and getting the enclosure set up properly would have made a big difference with time.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Yes they had a appointment all ready
I would find out which vet they made the appointment with then and call and verify it yourself, not just take their word for it. I hope they are taking it...but if they continue to care for it the way they did before you bought it then a vet trip won't make a difference in the end. That tortoise's best chance was with you.

Mammyjuls

The man did say o could pop in next week and see how he is doing so I would think if he said that then he will be taking him to vets .
I hope he has .
I am still going to get another tortoise but going to make sure I check it over properly before buying it

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
The man did say o could pop in next week and see how he is doing so I would think if he said that then he will be taking him to vets .
I hope he has .
I am still going to get another tortoise but going to make sure I check it over properly before buying it

feel free to point the store in this direction, it could prevent any futher 'mishaps'