Is owning a tortoise 'cool'

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I accepted our tort baby when he was offered because I thought owning a tort would be a cool experience, not because of how it would look to anyone else. My kids at least seem to think I am cool for having the tortoie. But to be honest, my oldest is 12. Right on the verge of being a teenager and the next 2 aren't very far behind her. It won't be long before nothing I do is cool.

I just asked my 8 year old daughter and her friend. Both agreed that I am cool.

I'll have to ask again in 5 or 6 years.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When I get excited about finding dandelions or plantains and am stuffing my pockets full of them - most people just think I am mad!
Lola usually looks at me with disdain.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
people often think
my tortoises are cool, me not so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If anything, having tortoises makes you somewhat of a nerd. Not cool.

I've had a few people that are animal and reptile lovers think my tortoises were cool, but I can't think of one person who thinks I am cool because I have tortoises. Most people who hear about my tortoise think I'm weird and they don't "get it".
This is what I was thinking. People do think my torts are very cool, but they don't get why someone would have them as a pet. I'm known as the crazy tortoise lady in my fairly new neighborhood and was known as that from the first day my torts were noticed. They are a cool attraction, but I'm not the cool owner.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was not cool before I got my tortoise, and I still am not cool. Good thing that wasn't my goal when I got the tortoise. I love all kinds of animals, and if I had the time money and room I would own many many more. Some of my friends think the tortoises are cool, some don't get it at all. Maybe if I had a few full grown Galapagos or Aldabra I would have a tiny chance of being slightly cool.