Is Sausage OK?

Joy S

I got a little Red Footed Hatchlig a few months ago. Since I've gotten her, Camilla has done nothing but thrive. I do everything I can to prevent pyramiding. She get's plenty of greens, and she loves yellow squash and watermelon. The one thing she's picky about is meat, I know she should get some protein, but I'm not sure what kind, and how much. I bought butterworms but she wanted nothing to do with them. She ate a little bit of baked chicken breast, but not enough to really matter. Earlier today, I had a small bit of sausage from a lasagna that I offered to my cat, who didn't want it, so I put it aside to throw away the next time I was in the kitchen. It really didn't take long at all, and Camilla was at about that bit of sausage, and was scarfing it down. She had just eaten a bunch of squash and was having "coffee table adventures" as I call it. Where she eats and walks around the coffee table looking around. So my question is: Is sausage an ok protein source? If so, how often should I give it to her? If not, what should I give her, and how much?
Thanks so much for your help!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay, I might be an amateur when it comes to meat... but I've never heard of giving a tortoise sausage! I always use the question, "Would they eat it in the wild?" and then judge by that. I don't think sausage would be in the wild ;) but I bet it won't hurt now that it's already be eaten. :)

Joy S

Yeah, I totally thought about that. I know it's not a usual protein source for the tortoise, but I've never really had any luck with anything else. So I'm just trying to get protein ideas, and how often it should be given. Thanks for your response!

Maverick

5 Year Member
I would say no, sausage is just that. It by definition has spices. It's not just raw pork, or chicken or whatever. Which probably would be fine, but not with the herbs and such.
Hope this helps..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would be worried about the salt content and any preservatives in the sausage. Lean dog and cat food are good choices.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Joy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Camilla:)
You just don't know what's in most sausages.....................
However, if you have any spare sausages, please post them to me.................
...............and any cheese.;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some members feed their Redfoot pinkie mice, shrimp and all matter of meats.
I use high quality dog food. (Because I have a dog and it's convenient)
I would also be worried about the spices in the sausage, but I'd be shocked if a small piece did any harm. Redfoot do and will eat almost anything that they can shove into their mouths! They are the Hoover vacuums of the jungle floor.
My Redfoot parameters are:
Humidity 75% plus
Temps 77-87
Foods: 40% low sugar fruit. 30% green leaves and flowers. 20% Mazuri and other protein.10% vegetable matter. (very roughly measured)

Last edited:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I freeze large crickets to kill them then give them to my tortoises. I also use Pheonix/super worms, butterworms, pinky mice (frozen then thawed), canned fish (in water), and venison.

I'm not a big fan of eggs though many use them successfully.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I freeze large crickets to kill them then give them to my tortoises. I also use Pheonix/super worms, butterworms, pinky mice (frozen then thawed), canned fish (in water), and venison.

Egg yolk attracts the type of ants I have in my yard. They don't bite, but they show up in the thousands about two hours after I put the food down.
I'm not sure if FIRE ants also like egg yolk. If they do, it would be a concern for outside pens.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Okay, I might be an amateur when it comes to meat... but I've never heard of giving a tortoise sausage! I always use the question, "Would they eat it in the wild?" and then judge by that. I don't think sausage would be in the wild ;) but I bet it won't hurt now that it's already be eaten. :)

I have not heard/seen a tort eating a sausage either, but at the same time hunger could make a tort eat anything in the wild.:rolleyes:

“A starving child is a frightful sight. A starving vampire, even worse.”
Anne Rice,

What about a hungry/starving tort? ;) ThoughI know that they (torts) can put up with hunger for long.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I got a little Red Footed Hatchlig a few months ago. Since I've gotten her, Camilla has done nothing but thrive. I do everything I can to prevent pyramiding. She get's plenty of greens, and she loves yellow squash and watermelon. The one thing she's picky about is meat, I know she should get some protein, but I'm not sure what kind, and how much. I bought butterworms but she wanted nothing to do with them. She ate a little bit of baked chicken breast, but not enough to really matter. Earlier today, I had a small bit of sausage from a lasagna that I offered to my cat, who didn't want it, so I put it aside to throw away the next time I was in the kitchen. It really didn't take long at all, and Camilla was at about that bit of sausage, and was scarfing it down. She had just eaten a bunch of squash and was having "coffee table adventures" as I call it. Where she eats and walks around the coffee table looking around. So my question is: Is sausage an ok protein source? If so, how often should I give it to her? If not, what should I give her, and how much?
Thanks so much for your help!
Avery warm welcome to the forum! :)

Do you give Camilla daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding? Please post a pic of your tort.

I would not advise you to feed her a sausage. ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Crickets and some or all worms like super are an empty food unless gut loaded. Do you gut load them first or just use as a filler? I know I have to gut load them for my lizard. Is it not the same if fed to tortoises?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I've never gut loaded insects to feed my tort because I find that the relatively small amount of animal protein in their diet makes it unnecessary whereas reptiles, arachnids, etc. rely mostly on the bugs you feed them for nutrition. I could be wrong though, I hope I'm not.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've never gut loaded insects to feed my tort because I find that the relatively small amount of animal protein in their diet makes it unnecessary whereas reptiles, arachnids, etc. rely mostly on the bugs you feed them for nutrition. I could be wrong though, I hope I'm not.
I think you summed it up pretty well.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Also, I feed insects live. I have no idea why I never considered freezing them first, that would've saved me so much emotional anguish. I guess I had my brain stuck in tarantula mode and decided he wouldn't eat them unless they were alive and kicking. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, I feed insects live. I have no idea why I never considered freezing them first, that would've saved me so much emotional anguish. I guess I had my brain stuck in tarantula mode and decided he wouldn't eat them unless they were alive and kicking. :(
I once had a swarm of live crickets eat most of a juvenile Jacksons chameleon.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I once had a swarm of live crickets eat most of a juvenile Jacksons chameleon.
AGHH this kind of thing is always in the back of my mind so I hold them on one end with tweezers and let go once Bean takes a hopefully lethal bite. Should I just freeze them dead from now on? You know what, I'm gonna freeze them dead.