Protein for baby tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
My little Cherryhead is about 5 or 6 months old. I have been reading the posts about protein, but I am still confused about how often I should give her some. I have access to butterworms, silkworms, mealworms, crickets, and waxworms. I would prefer the more natural food route than manmade food such as cat food. I think she may be too young for superworms. I do not think she could catch a cricket and the exoskeletons may cause digestive issues. I am also thinking live prey that she has to catch would make it more mentally stimulating for her. Please, correct me if these are not a good source of protein for her. So how many should I offer and how often? She is about 2 1/4 inches. Thank you

abclements

5 Year Member
For a 5-6 month old, I would suggest mealworms. They're just about the right size for your tort! Amounts of protein vary from keeper to keeper, but honestly I think you really can't go wrong if you're feeding protein somewhere between 2-5 times a month. I know some just pick a day every week (like every Sunday) and feed protein then. I know you said you want to go the natural route, but if you decided to feed her protein only a couple times a month, consider Mazuri Tort Food. It has a lower amount of protein per serving than bugs or chicken, but it has more than leaves and fruit. Plus it helps fill in the micro nutrients that you may have missed by feeding leaves, fruit and bugs. Just a thought.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
tignish99 said:
My little Cherryhead is about 5 or 6 months old. I have been reading the posts about protein, but I am still confused about how often I should give her some. I have access to butterworms, silkworms, mealworms, crickets, and waxworms. I would prefer the more natural food route than manmade food such as cat food. I think she may be too young for superworms. I do not think she could catch a cricket and the exoskeletons may cause digestive issues. I am also thinking live prey that she has to catch would make it more mentally stimulating for her. Please, correct me if these are not a good source of protein for her. So how many should I offer and how often? She is about 2 1/4 inches. Thank you

I give it to mine twice a week, but I basically divide one serving into two days, using just a very small amount of protein each time, mixed in with his regular food.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Thank you for the information.

I have ordered tortoise pellets and I am thinking of giving those to her, exactly for the purpose you suggest: to fill in the gaps in micronutrients. So can I give her a couple of pellets one week and a worm another week? Or a a bit more frequently? I will try mealworms. Is a silkworm or a butterworm too much protein at once for a tort this small? I am growing my own silkworms so I can choose any size of silkworm I want to feed her.

abclements

5 Year Member
As long as it's small enough for them to eat (ripping and tearing is fine) it should be good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.