Is Sausage OK?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I've never gut loaded insects to feed my tort because I find that the relatively small amount of animal protein in their diet makes it unnecessary whereas reptiles, arachnids, etc. rely mostly on the bugs you feed them for nutrition. I could be wrong though, I hope I'm not.

@wellington
I use insects as whole-animal protein much as Jockma has outlined above. Gut loading is therefore unnecessary.

@jockma
I freeze crickets because they're fast and if they escape, the chirping keeps me up at night (within the confines of my home). Most larval forms (super worms, wax worms, etc.) I leave wriggling.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Is there a drawback to feeding them dead, though? I never want to feed a live insect unless it's necessary, including harmless ones like worms, but I will if freezing them is bad for the tort somehow.

Has anyone ever fed dubia roaches? I'm planning on keeping a colony of those when I get around to owning a dozen or so tarantulas but in my humble opinion the existence of roaches is the absolute worst crime of the animal kingdom and I would hate to have a colony of those things when Bean can't or won't eat them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
roaches? @Tom can answer that

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
A rare piece of sausage is going to do no damage. As opportune feeders in the wild, yea, they'd could find worse. I have given similar items as treats to my boxies over the years. Sausage from pizza, a piece of ham, some roast beef out of stew. Makes a good treat if not overdone.

The previous comments on gut loading were spot on. Feeding insects to an omnivore is different that feeding them to a carnivore. The latter need the additional nutrition provided by gutloading.

And yes, those dang crickets will group up and kill or maim your pet! Be careful. Plus, the suck as feeders anyway. Get dubia roaches.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Is there a drawback to feeding them dead, though? I never want to feed a live insect unless it's necessary, including harmless ones like worms, but I will if freezing them is bad for the tort somehow.

Has anyone ever fed dubia roaches? I'm planning on keeping a colony of those when I get around to owning a dozen or so tarantulas but in my humble opinion the existence of roaches is the absolute worst crime of the animal kingdom and I would hate to have a colony of those things when Bean can't or won't eat them.

Nutritionally, no. Undoubtedly live insects provide more stimulation, that's all I can see as a drawback.