Is tea safe for a Russian tort?

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I thought tannins and caffeine are bad for torts. But I've read of people feeding their torts tea bag contents. This would be a great way to possibly vary Morla's diet!

Are there certain teas that are safe? (like natural, whole leaf vs cheap Lipton bags)? Should it be just soaked with cool water to soften? Or can it be brewed like normal tea and then the leaves be fed to tortie? What team (Rose? Hibiscus? Brands u use?) are good for them? Which types/brands hould be avoided?

L

LasTortugasNinja

There are different types of tea. There are teas with tea leaves, and there are herbal teas which is basically drinking potpourri. These are just flowers, fruits, etc dried. Herbal tea has no caffeine. If you go to a hippie grocery store, you can usually buy in bulk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
According to my friend, Google, tea leaves are edible. But if you're trying to add a bit of diversity to your tortoise's diet, take a look at the additives that are sold at kapidolofarms.com and at tortoisesupply.com . You know these are 'safe' because they're sold especially for tortoises.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Thank you for the clarification, Jaime! How do I know there are NO tea leaves in a "tea?" (ie: are all "herbal teas" tea leaf-free?)

Anything that says "herbal tea" will not have tea leaves. That's just the dried herb (or weed), fruit, or flower used for seeping as a drink. If it's "infused" then it is tea leaves AND the herbal tea mixed. My daughter worked for a tea shop for a year. I learned more about tea than I EVER wanted to. Drank more than I ever wanted to as well... lol

My tort LOVES the dragonfruit/peach mix. I use just a tiny, TINY pinch. Like a pinky & thumb pinch of the tea on a plate of weeds and greens. It's a seasoning rather than a supplement.

Sa Ga

MN
Thank you all for great clarification and sources to get food! It's been so wonderful to watch Morla grow more clinically healthy (though her CKD will always remain ?) and her shell improve as her diet/lighting was corrected--and continues to improve!!!

Love you all! XO