Is the Redfoot market saturated

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
As a newbie here I have been pouring through all the forums and looking at stuff at various sites. It seems like that redfoot tortoise breeder have filled the market with redfoots. On some sites Redfoots are even selling Cheaper than Russians.

I love tortoises and have always wanted to keep them and when I got to a time in my life where I could, begin breeding them and specializing in a breed. However am beginning to think Russians might be a better decision than Redfoots. Thoughts?

Where I am in Arkansas, Russians can definitely live outside longer and obviously take up less space than Reds.

I have even noticed when looking back on the Forums sale area that there are more Redfoots available than Russians.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
This may just be me, but especially if I were looking to do something on a level where I wanted to produce a decent number of animals, I would be much more concerned about keeping a species that would thrive in my environment, rather than one that would sell successfully.

If only so that you know that they are off to a great start before you send them home!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The Redfoot market is never saturated. You just have to work to find the right buyer. It may take some time, but I have never had a year where I had animals left from that seasons production for more than a few months after they were hatched.......Fickle I would say, but not saturated.......

Matter of fact, I will go so far as to say that there isn't a flooded market for any Tortoise species.......There are seasonal highs and lows, but even during those seasonal highs, the markets are not flooded. Plenty of competition though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.