Is there a way or are they the same?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I know with tortoises there’s no way to know exactly how old they are without knowing the clutch date but I’m wondering if the same rule applies to turtles as well? I’m sure that’s a silly question but it’s still one I’m wondering. Also, is it the same with being able to sex them definitively? Do you have to wait several years as well?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I know with tortoises there’s no way to know exactly how old they are without knowing the clutch date but I’m wondering if the same rule applies to turtles as well? I’m sure that’s a silly question but it’s still one I’m wondering. Also, is it the same with being able to sex them definitively? Do you have to wait several years as well?
Although you are correct - there is not way to know for sure the age of a tortoise without knowing hatch date, it can often be estimated by counting growth rings. Especially where the tortoise is kept in a manner where there are definitive annual cycles to temperatures or foods it is offered. The more consistent growth is, the less the shell will produce growth rings as a result in slowing or stopping of bone growth.

With aquatics it is not the same. You absolutely cannot tell the age of a turtle without knowing its hatch date. You can only guess by size, and since size is determined so greatly by conditions, it can vary tremendously. Most aquatic turtles shed their scutes. So there is not growth ring that remains in the shell as it ages as any irregularities in the scute is shed off as new scute material is formed below.

Sexing both turtles and tortoises is a factor primarily of size and not age. As a result, with a captive chelonian, you often can sex it in just a few years, while in the wild it may take several years to reach the same size. On average, aquatic turtles tend to reach producing (breeding) size quicker than tortoises.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Although you are correct - there is not way to know for sure the age of a tortoise without knowing hatch date, it can often be estimated by counting growth rings. Especially where the tortoise is kept in a manner where there are definitive annual cycles to temperatures or foods it is offered. The more consistent growth is, the less the shell will produce growth rings as a result in slowing or stopping of bone growth.

With aquatics it is not the same. You absolutely cannot tell the age of a turtle without knowing its hatch date. You can only guess by size, and since size is determined so greatly by conditions, it can vary tremendously. Most aquatic turtles shed their scutes. So there is not growth ring that remains in the shell as it ages as any irregularities in the scute is shed off as new scute material is formed below.

Sexing both turtles and tortoises is a factor primarily of size and not age. As a result, with a captive chelonian, you often can sex it in just a few years, while in the wild it may take several years to reach the same size. On average, aquatic turtles tend to reach producing (breeding) size quicker than tortoises.

Wow, thank you for the detailed answer, that was very informative. I’m going to post a pic of my tort so maybe you can help me understand counting the growth rings.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Here’s my Russian, if you can describe to me how to count growth rings I’d appreciate it.IMG_0935.jpgIMG_1531.jpg